Stockimo - License Types

Yes, one more about Stockimo... Surprising even myself as I have been quite content to quietly watch from the sideline thus far, and do not really plan to participate in Alamy's mobile offering (mostly because I have another outlet for this type of work which I feel is more promising). Still I have been watching with interest as to how this will develop, as I believe there is a certain amount of potential in the technological aspects of Alamy's implementation. 

I was browsing through the Stockimo collection and noticed that almost all of the images are placed as Royalty Free. (Okay, that's a stretch: Currently just about 10,000 of 13,000 images) But in general, it looks like Alamy will apply RF to any image where it is legally possible to do so... most other images listed as RM have clear legal issues which would prevent RF (trademarks, lack of MR, etc). Somehow this seems a bit limiting to me if Alamy really are looking to put together a commercially oriented collection. By Alamy's model, any chances at advertising sales or other exclusive-type licenses are gone, the biggest 'commercial' license one could see would be around a $250 RF sale... So to me looks like Alamy are catering to their existing low-end editorial clients rather than truly trying to attract clients interested in a commercial collection?

I was just a little surprised to realize this along with the fact that Alamy will be the one choosing which license type to apply instead of contributors- Even more surprised that this has not been debated at length on the forums! I realize this is common practice at a number of other agencies, but was wondering what other contributors think about this, particularly those who plan on participating... Perhaps this would be yet another hurtle keeping some contributors from participating? Or Not?

-Jason

When you upload a pic, you are prompted for number of people (0,1,2,3,4 or 5+) and have to declare if there is anything needing a property release.

It's possible some of the new iPhone contributors don't understand what you need PR for?

I was a bit surprised when a number of my Stockimo images showed up as RF. Apparently if you indicate a photo can be used commercially RF pricing is applied. If you state it can't be used commercially then it's RM. Granted, almost all of my Alamy submissions are Editorial and I haven't ventured into RF before but I thought it was possible for an image to be "commercial" and still RM.

Archived