Image Size

As a newcomer I'm a little confused about the requirements for images size. Everything I read tells me that my images should be at least 17mb for submission and yet QC are passing images at less than this. The exif and IPTC data on many of my images is less than 17mb, does this mean I cannot submit them?

Welcome davidd.

Another newcomer here :)

Most of your images are showing an uncompressed size of 17.1MB, which is fine....but only just!

Your Victorian Toys/Beehive/Boathouse images are more than good enough at around 35MB

If you're cropping/resizing heavily, then I believe the longest side shouldn't be shorter than 3000 pixels.

Maybe an expert can chime in here, but I just checked on one of my images, and it shows a resize to 3000X2000 to be 17.2MB uncompressed.

The uncompressed size is the left hand number at the bottom left of the opened image in photoshop, this is the number that Alamy is interested in.

(Click the arrow down there and select Document Sizes to see this)

The EXIF shows the compressed image size I believe, which will be smaller.

The JPEG compression size will be much smaller still.

By the way, I like your boathouse image - I live quite near to Hickling, it's a lovely area, especially the NWT reserve nearby - a great place to photograph dragonflies in the summer months.

Best regards

Gareth.

3 minutes ago, davidd said:

Thanks Gareth but where did you get the uncompressed size from and, how do you get to see my images? No objection but just wondered.

Cheers, davidd

He clicked on the blue number under your avatar and read the size off the image's own page.

Thanks spacecadet, didn't know you could do that. You learn something new every minute of every day! I'm still puzzled mind, I've just followed that route and found the boathouse image and it shows a file size of 34.5mb. How is that when the IPTC/EXIF info on Lightroom shows 12.88?

Not sure if Lightroom shows uncompressed file size....I don't use LR....I probably should though....I have really old stuff though - CS5/Bridge/ACR/DNG converter etc!

To see the uncompressed file size, open it up in photoshop.

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Assuming it's 12.88 MP, there are 3 bytes per pixel, so that's just under 39MB uncompressed. It may be cropped down to 34.5.

Makes sense, thanks spacecadet.

Thank you everyone, it's still as clear as mud but I'll just double check the image size in P/Shop every time before submitting. Just seems a little longwinded that's all.

You don't need to. As long as your camera is 6MP or above (it is), then cropping aside, they're big enough.

You still seem to be confusing sensor size, image size and the difference between compressed and uncompressed.

21 minutes ago, davidd said:

Thanks a lot, sorry to be so thick. I never needed to know this in my studio!

No problem. Just have a bit of a think about it.

You know the sensor size of your camera in MP. The jpegs you send to Alamy are compressed, so probably appear as 5-10MB when you look at "properties" on the files. When you open them in PS, the document size in MB will be three times the MP size.

BTW you shouldn't be needing to downsize  your images to 6MP (3000x2000). In broad daylight at normal ISOs  image quality sholdn't be a problem.

You also have all your images listed as RF. Without releases and containing property they should be RM.

21 minutes ago, davidd said:

Thanks again spacecadet.

You only have to learn this stuff once. Then it's just like remembering that FP4 development was 6 1/2 minutes at 68F in ID-11;)

Something like that. It's been a while.

31 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You only have to learn this stuff once. Then it's just like remembering that FP4 development was 6 1/2 minutes at 68F in ID-11;)

Something like that. It's been a while.

I hope you managed to secure a valid 27B/6 while you're at it....we all know how important those things are! :D

Archived