Need advice on a work issue

Thanks again for the input guys. 

I'm likely to let this one slide now. Appreciate that there's more legal arguments to be had with this one than is worth pursuing. The image isn't that good to begin with, I should be happy that they want to use it. I've come off a 3 in a row alamy QC fail in two weeks, 4 of my images being stolen on the net, and this one from my work. I really need to tighten up my 'business' end of photography and learn quickly. 

My employer are fine with me having a business as long as it doesn't conflict with my work, however, I need to make it more clear to them that they cannot just expect me to turn up one day with a camera to take pics of a 1960's reunion like they did on Monday. 

If they want me to take pics? They can buy me a camera, lenses and stuff that goes with it, because I am not using my own equipment for it. 4 members of staff all own Canon DSLR's (paid for by the school) and are paid extra to take pictures. My boss doesn't want this same fate for me, even though I'd jump at the chance. The 4 members of staff are just teachers who take snapshots of things for our publications from time to time, so I guess when they seen this edited shot from me, it was like a new wind. It's not a technically perfect shot, but to them it was excellent. 

I need to play this one very carefully, because there is a member of staff who has been taking pictures for the school for 25 years, and the school are now suddenly are asking me instead of them. It clearly looks to this person that I've just went out to buy a camera to then muscle in on the action. It's simply not the case. I've had to say to the school, that taking pictures for them is not what I'm employed to do. It's likely to cause some bad feeling but the annoyance comes from them not taking me seriously enough that they pay average people extra money to be school "photographers" and they expect me to do it for nothing, when I eat sleep and breathe photography in my spare time. 

Really? you're posting unwatermarked 2048x1365px images to flickr?

Even though you've 'disabled' downloading, the image is still easily stealable...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3701/9400303088_1a245f854e_k.jpg

and no IPTC data with the file?

oh dear

km

i post a lot of images on FB...but at max 850px longest side, hugely compressed and watermarked to heck...

1175279_10151867274334850_976830900_n.jp

I was interested in reading more about this part, about downloading photos from Flickr with no copyright or creator information in them. So it turns out that if you post to Flickr, be aware that the versions that other people can download have this information stripped out. Made me more aware of posting smaller size versions with Watermarks from now on. (This may turn out to be in the wrong forum post, but was in response to the earlier post which is exactly on this topic)

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632998928922/

My work have asked how much I want for each use. Had a quiet word with the accountant about the issue and we're coming to an arrangement where if my photos are needed, in future, I'll be paid for them. Now I need to work out how much I want for them. I was going to use the Alamy calculator. 

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know of the outcome. Wasn't expecting this outcome but I'm feeling better about it all now. 

*update*

Actually hard to calculate this. 4300 copies of the 28 page magazine was printed. It's a half page pic, inside, and it's hard to distinguish it's use. It's almost like an advertisement  but its used to tell former pupils about things that go on currently, so it can be deemed a newsletter too. 

Hmmm the plot thickens. 

I was interested in reading more about this part, about downloading photos from Flickr with no copyright or creator information in them. So it turns out that if you post to Flickr, be aware that the versions that other people can download have this information stripped out. Made me more aware of posting smaller size versions with Watermarks from now on. (This may turn out to be in the wrong forum post, but was in response to the earlier post which is exactly on this topic)

Photo metadata test (results from March 2013)

My work have asked how much I want for each use. Had a quiet word with the accountant about the issue and we're coming to an arrangement where if my photos are needed, in future, I'll be paid for them. Now I need to work out how much I want for them. I was going to use the Alamy calculator. 

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know of the outcome. Wasn't expecting this outcome but I'm feeling better about it all now. 

*update*

Actually hard to calculate this. 4300 copies of the 28 page magazine was printed. It's a half page pic, inside, and it's hard to distinguish it's use. It's almost like an advertisement  but its used to tell former pupils about things that go on currently, so it can be deemed a newsletter too. 

Hmmm the plot thickens. 

Does *anyone* actually pay the alamy calculator price? Not had any sales, but it seems everyone has been discussing how prices are always well below the calculator prices.

Photo metadata test (results from March 2013)

Thanks Mark. It was interesting to go through the graphic. I was already posting only 800 px images to Facebook, but was posting full size images to Flickr earlier with downloading disabled; however, I am moving towards either uploading files with a big copyright through the middle or uploading smaller size photos.

Why use the Alamy calculator for a commissioned job? Calculate your cost and add your margins and give them a quote. Also, write up a contract or a license. Copyrights on commissioned jobs is a different ball game altogether. Cover the job legally. Also, be careful talking about your employer on a public forum. Nothing is secret on the internet. 

Archived