"Ile de Entree" and "Ile de Goree"

Indeed, the Alamy search engine could be improved.

Cheers,

Philippe

Not quite, Philippe!

The "Ile de" has come up for the obvious reason but the search engine doesn't return only parts of words as in your explanation.

It's just that "re" is one of those words that's ignored in searches - just like "the", "for", "at" (but not "in"), "an" (but not "a") etc.

Ian

Have you put the French accents in your keywords? I find that such diacritic marks sometimes fool some search engines into splitting up a word, assuming that what follows any accent is a new word.

(Though thinking about it, that still wouldn't explain the results in this case)

Have you put the French accents in your keywords? I find that such diacritic marks sometimes fool some search engines into splitting up a word, assuming that what follows any accent is a new word.

(Though thinking about it, that still wouldn't explain the results in this case)

no French accents in my keywords

"Ile de Entree" and "Ile de Goree"

Indeed, the Alamy search engine could be improved.

Cheers,

Philippe

Not quite, Philippe!

The "Ile de" has come up for the obvious reason but the search engine doesn't return only parts of words as in your explanation.

It's just that "re" is one of those words thats ignored in searches like "the", "for", "at" (but not "in"), "an" (but not "a") etc.

Ian

Euh......... :unsure:

Ian, you're absolutely right.

Did a quick check and indeed - when you search for Ile de Ré - there are images which pop up and do not have words containing "re" in the description nor in the essential keywords.

Another lesson learned ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

Philippe,

The easiest way to check for these ignored words is to do a search for something - say "man" - and see how many results come up. Then try putting something in front - such as "re", "the", "an", etc - and see how many results then appear. If it's the same, then the extra word is being ignored - if the total has gone down, then it's being picked up.

Ian

PS. I'm sure there's a correct technical term for these redundant words in searches but I can't for the life of me remember what it is!

Archived