Traveling to Helsinki, Copenhagen and Tallinn - Must Sees?

hi guys, travelling later this year...big world and small budget, so likely only going to see things once...any must sees you can recommend? not just to photograph, but in general. I am taking my Mom back to where her parents were born.

The people in Tallinn are wonderful and beautiful. We were there on a cruise from Sweden and only in port from mid-day to 4PM so I was fighting some harsh light conditions (it was summer) and ended up mostly taking photos of people in shops. Someone on this forum recommended that I be sure to have an ultra wide lens along and that was great advice for the narrow streets and lovely buildings. I had an architecture shoot a month before I left so I bought the Nikon 20mm and it was ideal on my full frame D700. Best advice I can give you, be sure to have a wide lens along. 

Have a wonderful trip! How great to investigate your roots! 

9 minutes ago, Marianne said:

The people in Tallinn are wonderful and beautiful. We were there on a cruise from Sweden and only in port from mid-day to 4PM so I was fighting some harsh light conditions (it was summer) and ended up mostly taking photos of people in shops. Someone on this forum recommended that I be sure to have an ultra wide lens along and that was great advice for the narrow streets and lovely buildings. I had an architecture shoot a month before I left so I bought the Nikon 20mm and it was ideal on my full frame D700. Best advice I can give you, be sure to have a wide lens along. 

Have a wonderful trip! How great to investigate your roots! 

Thanks! that was what I was thinking too. I was hoping to pick up one this summer before we go. We are going in September, so hopefully things won't be as harsh. We were just going to take the ferry over from Tallinn one day from Helsinki. As soon as I am done my exam in April, the planning begins. It's my Mom's first trip to Europe, so I want to make sure I have everything planned and ready for her. I want her to see alot.

1 minute ago, MandyD said:

Thanks! that was what I was thinking too. I was hoping to pick up one this summer before we go. We are going in September, so hopefully things won't be as harsh. We were just going to take the ferry over from Tallinn one day from Helsinki. As soon as I am done my exam in April, the planning begins. It's my Mom's first trip to Europe, so I want to make sure I have everything planned and ready for her. I want her to see alot.

Sounds like it will be a wonderful experience for both of you! 

Given the types of images you shoot a nice ultra-wide lens would be great for you all around. I think 20mm is the sweet spot since you can get a lot in the frame but it doesn't look so wide as to be distorted. A wide zoom is always nice too but they can be very heavy. I've got my eye on the Rokinon 12mm fish-eye at the moment just to liven things up - but I think of something that wide as being more for fun than something I'd cart around Europe.

This fall, my husband and I are hoping to visit one of my cousins in Italy (whom I've never met but she friended me on FB after my daughter met her last summer) to explore the town my paternal grandfather came from, and then make our way around Italy to other towns where his grandparents and mine came from. I've been to Italy 3 times and to Europe 6 times but have never visited any of the places where my family came from. It's an exciting prospect. Fall is such a perfect time to travel over there, better wether, fewer crowds. 

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

Sounds like it will be a wonderful experience for both of you! 

Given the types of images you shoot a nice ultra-wide lens would be great for you all around. I think 20mm is the sweet spot since you can get a lot in the frame but it doesn't look so wide as to be distorted. A wide zoom is always nice too but they can be very heavy. I've got my eye on the Rokinon 12mm fish-eye at the moment just to liven things up - but I think of something that wide as being more for fun than something I'd cart around Europe.

This fall, my husband and I are hoping to visit one of my cousins in Italy (whom I've never met but she friended me on FB after my daughter met her last summer) to explore the town my paternal grandfather came from, and then make our way around Italy to other towns where his grandparents and mine came from. I've been to Italy 3 times and to Europe 6 times but have never visited any of the places where my family came from. It's an exciting prospect. Fall is such a perfect time to travel over there, better wether, fewer crowds. 

I have only been to Europe twice to explore...both last year...London in October and Rome in November. I have been a few places before for sports..Germany, Spain, England and Argentina when I was younger, but just starting to see things now. Taking Mom has been on the top of the list, so she gets the next trip. Hoping maybe Cuba this year as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tallinn is a beautiful city...a must is to see the old town,vtake in the views, the Alexander Nevski Cathedral...check out the maritime museum...you can get horse drawn carriages to take you around if walking is an issue.  There as requested river cruises too... wish I was going back😀

14 minutes ago, Barking said:

Tallinn is a beautiful city...a must is to see the old town,vtake in the views, the Alexander Nevski Cathedral...check out the maritime museum...you can get horse drawn carriages to take you around if walking is an issue.  There as requested river cruises too... wish I was going back😀

I am really excited now...will start my itinerary planning in a couple weeks. Best part, I get to take my Mom on her first major trip and it's going to be fun watching her...I am not telling her a thing...she knows we are going, but I want everything to be a surprise.

Archived