Anyone here used the Fuji 18-135 zoom

Hi all

I'm sure there are many people on the Fuji forums who would love to answer this in great detail. But I was hoping I would get a reasonably practical set of responses here. I'm switching to the Fuji system as I bought a used X100s and love it and have just found a used X-T1.  As much as I would love to get a full set of primes for it, I suspect a reasonably versatile zoom would work best for me (I travel a lot in some rough parts of Africa as a print journalist, but like to take photos on the side).
The 18-135 has a lot of reach, even if it is a little bit slow on both ends. Has anyone used it and do you have a view on IQ and how it would pass master with QC here?

Thanks in advance

26 minutes ago, Jon Rosenthal said:

Hi all

I'm sure there are many people on the Fuji forums who would love to answer this in great detail. But I was hoping I would get a reasonably practical set of responses here. I'm switching to the Fuji system as I bought a used X100s and love it and have just found a used X-T1.  As much as I would love to get a full set of primes for it, I suspect a reasonably versatile zoom would work best for me (I travel a lot in some rough parts of Africa as a print journalist, but like to take photos on the side).
The 18-135 has a lot of reach, even if it is a little bit slow on both ends. Has anyone used it and do you have a view on IQ and how it would pass master with QC here?

Thanks in advance

I use the 18-135 for news when I want to work with one camera (usually where the sitation could get difficult) and for travel when photography is not the main purpose. I am happy with the results (I'm not a pixel peeper) although one does need to keep an eye out for CA. I have not had issues with Alamy QC but then I have not submitted a lot with it recently, I think Betty uses it routinely for her Alamy images.

The fact that the 18-135 aperture is slow is not usually an issue as Fuji X-T1/T2 will go to ISO 1600 or more quite happily if one is careful with exposure and post production.

It is my favoured go everywhere lens as it makes for a compact and flexible outfit. That is even though I also have the 16-55 & 50-140 and two bodies. I find its range works well for me as I have never been a big W/A user, that said 16-120 would suit me a bit better.

If you look at my port, in particular the many shopfronts scattered through, all of those were taken with the 18-135.  In fact, it is my stock workhorse. I have also used it for other things, people with shopping carts in parking lots, storm drains, harvest/crops, grain storage, cattle, you name it.

It also makes an excellent travel lens. I used it a lot in St. Croix along with my RX100 mk lll. Sometimes it can have some CA that is taken care of in LR. But it seems a lot of lenses can have some CA under the right circumstances. I don’t believe I’ve ever had a lens that didn’t. 

I don’t think I’ve ever had a failure with it.

I do like my 50-140 when I know from the outset I’m going after people doing things. The 2.8 gives me more separation. But it’s heavier than the 18-135. 

Betty

I'm using 18-135 all the time - my go everywhere lens on X-E2 (and 10-24 on X-T2). If it's too slow then just crack ISO a bit - shouldn't be a problem. Fuji has really fine naturally looking 'grain' and QC accepts even ISO 3200. CA and distortion can be really easy fixed in LR/ACR/etc. 

Archived