It is all a number/quality game

Mirco Vacca

Hello Paul,

Thanks for your compliment.

Actually i saw your images few days ago and i would expect you to have allready regular sales and if not now then for sure when you will reach a few thousands. You have lots of good people images where they are doing something.

Wish you lots of success.

Greetz,

Mirco

Hello Paul,

Thanks for your compliment.

Actually i saw your images few days ago and i would expect you to have allready regular sales and if not now then for sure when you will reach a few thousands. You have lots of good people images where they are doing something.

Wish you lots of success.

Greetz,

Mirco

No regular sales just yet. Having a writers block moment with photography. Been burning the candle at both ends with soaking up info and trying to shoot too. 

I like the images. The in-camera processing is brighter and cleaner than most of my careful raw processing and actually they are exactly the kind of things which sell, provided the caption and keywording is appropriate. The captions/titles don't always look to be, so I am not worried about losing sales :-) There's good stuff there which would sell if captioned differently, the captions indicate that you're seeing its uses differently, and may not have keyworded it to sell to Alamy's main markets. But if not, you'll find out and correct.

IMO, the real waste of time is not post-processing (which I believe is very important for the reasons I just mentioned) but shooting subjects when the conditions aren't perfect. Subjects which have been covered already many, many times before and which you cannot equal because you have to deal with a dull, grey sky, have your subject half covered in harsh shadows, or whatever reason causing you to end up with a mediocre snapshot.

Well you might be missing out on sales!

For example:

BEYD6J.jpg

Subject covered many many times before: check

Dull grey sky: check

Still, I took the shot, uploaded it to Alamy, and it was licensed to a Japanese magazine.

You never know!  ;)

To be honoust. It is not that i never shoot Raw. It depends on the situation. When there is the right time of the day with good light i shoot JPEG and do the setting before i make the shot. But for example when there will be situation that the light is not in balance, as example a overlighted sky, then is shoot in raw because there is no way that you can fix it in camera. Then i use Adobe Lightroom and use luminace blue to make the sky darker if possible. This i keep in limit of course.

I like the images. The in-camera processing is brighter and cleaner than most of my careful raw processing and actually they are exactly the kind of things which sell, provided the caption and keywording is appropriate. The captions/titles don't always look to be, so I am not worried about losing sales :-) There's good stuff there which would sell if captioned differently, the captions indicate that you're seeing its uses differently, and may not have keyworded it to sell to Alamy's main markets. But if not, you'll find out and correct.

The good thing about Alamy is also that you are keywording only the accepted images. So keywording after the images are accepted. On some sites you have to keyword before approving.

This is thee one thing I quit Fotolio for. I actually got an image rejected from them because I spelled 'centre' the UK way and not the US way 'Center' In the earlier days of me trying on Shutterstock I had 4 images fail QC because they felt my keywording was wrong. Needless to say I've learned more since then but I do like how Alamy do it. 

Actually i was meaning mor that you are not loosing extra time. In some agencies you keword and maybe 10% will be rejected for whatever reason. This 10% percent you spend also time with keywording. So it is good that in Alamy you only keyword accepted images.

Archived