Namaste from England.

79Photography

Hello everyone. 

Im new to the forum but have been on Alamy for about 6 months now and have slowly uploaded 900 photos, but with zero sales and only 7 zooms so far.

Ive joined the forum to try and understand Alamy better and to see if i am even heading in the right direction!!

I have come in to Alamy with open eyes and understand its a slow start here and that it is considered that travel photography is over saturated, but after nearly 4 years of world travel its all I've got and I've got a lot!! Im back home now and the plan is to get whats good up on line.

Hello and welcome Philip,

I had a quick look through some pages of your images and hope you don't mind me mentioning that, although you have some good images, you also have too many similars. Try to keep similars down to three at most as this will be adversely affecting sales and ranking. You will have started on a median rank and to rise up the ranking is the aim of the game.

Allan

Thanks for the welcome guys.

4 hours ago, GS-Images said:

Welcome to the forum.

There's a lot of good advice in these forums and I'm sure you'll find answers to the questions you have. It's always worth spending a few hours reading recent topics as you'll learn a lot that way.

Don't worry too much about there being a lot of travel photos here. That's just the way it goes with most subjects, there is a lot of competition. Just concentrate on uploading your best images, and never underestimate the importance of good captions and tags. Accurate captions and tags are vital, and if you do a good job you'll often see your images high up in results, despite the numbers available from others.

Good luck,

Geoff.

1. Im busy at reading the forum and taking mental notes.

2. Is that a general comment or do see that mine need improvement? 

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hello and welcome Philip,

I had a quick look through some pages of your images and hope you don't mind me mentioning that, although you have some good images, you also have too many similars. Try to keep similars down to three at most as this will be adversely affecting sales and ranking. You will have started on a median rank and to rise up the ranking is the aim of the game.

Allan

Thanks for the welcome and the honest feed back.

I fully agree with you, I got a better understanding of how it works a few weeks ago and have had a cull of quite a lot of images but am having to wait the 180 days delete time now. 

By similars  i take you mean the likes of the white heron,  golden retriever in the sea, field of corn and wild flowers etc etc. But what about the likes of the surfers, or Angkor Wat temples. All kind of different subjects but similar looking photos?

8 minutes ago, 79Photography said:

Thanks for the welcome and the honest feed back.

I fully agree with you, I got a better understanding of how it works a few weeks ago and have had a cull of quite a lot of images but am having to wait the 180 days delete time now. 

By similars  i take you mean the likes of the white heron,  golden retriever in the sea, field of corn and wild flowers etc etc. But what about the likes of the surfers, or Angkor Wat temples. All kind of different subjects but similar looking photos?

Pleased to hear you have already had a cull of similars. Heron, retriever, field of corn, yes too many similars as are the later beach scenes.

If you have say three images of the same subject but taken from different angles, lighting and distances, then these are OK. But if all are taken from the same viewpoint with little difference then pick the best to keeping ditch the others.

Allan

23 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Pleased to hear you have already had a cull of similars. Heron, retriever, field of corn, yes too many similars as are the later beach scenes.

If you have say three images of the same subject but taken from different angles, lighting and distances, then these are OK. But if all are taken from the same viewpoint with little difference then pick the best to keeping ditch the others.

Allan

Thank you for the advice Allan, it is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. 

Im new to the forum but have been on Alamy for about 6 months now and have slowly uploaded 900 photos, but with zero sales and only 7 zooms so far.

Ive joined the forum to try and understand Alamy better and to see if i am even heading in the right direction!!

I have come in to Alamy with open eyes and understand its a slow start here and that it is considered that travel photography is over saturated, but after nearly 4 years of world travel its all I've got and I've got a lot!! Im back home now and the plan is to get whats good up on line.

Hey I know you :) 

Welcome to the forum...lots of really knowledgeable people on here!

On 8/22/2017 at 18:08, 79Photography said:

Hello everyone. 

Welcome and wow, 4 years of world travelling - must have been awesome! Don't hesitate to ask for help and good luck!

Archived