Tips for making images in Israel?

Later this year we'll be participating in a family trip in Israel. It's a 12-day guided tour, so times and places are mostly laid out already.

I've looked over Israel images already on Alamy, have seen the recent travel threads, and know what to pack where.

Any Israel-specific advice appreciated.

thanks

Bill 

Hey Bill!

Light clothes, a hat for shade, comfortable shoes and always carry a bottle of water!

Any more detailed questions you can reach me at NirAlon@ImagesOfMyThoughts.com +972-54-4404656 on WhatsApp or NirAlon on Twitter

Be careful when taking the ultra orthodox, they don't like it. If you are going with the family and want to visit religious sites, of all faiths, ensure that arms and legs are covered. For men ensure you have some sort of head covering when visiting Jewish sites. Bear in mind the Sabbath days and be more discreet when taking people of that religion. In Tel Aviv look out for the Carmel Market and Jaffa port. In Jerusalem look out for the Mamilla Mall near the Jaffa Gate. Not on the mainstream tourist route but great fun. Food is generally good now, used to be really bad. Must try a falafel with all the works, best fast food out. Most people speak English so getting around is easy. Get lost in the back streets of the Old City of Jerusalem, there are surprises around every corner and it is safe. The Jewish quarter is less interesting than the other parts.

Have a great time, you never know, our paths may cross. I will be there again late October.

dov

During arrival at Tel Aviv Airport it can be that you're pre-checked for Security before reaching the boarder entry desk. They asking you what you're doing in Israel, your place to stay and something more. For your departure you should check in earlier than at other Airports. Lot of questioning and Security screenings. Avoid to take big batteries like the Quantum-stuff or similar with your hand-luggage. There's a good chance that you undergo an intense security monitoring and that you have to pull out every piece of equipment for an intense hand-control. It can be that part of your equipments which "look" suspious are blocked to travel in your hand-luggage. They keep it for a couple of days in Israel and will manually check it. Once everything is fine the Battery for instance will be send to you home location by another plane as regular freight.

I have "experienced" this more than twice personally in TV.

On the other side I had never any bad experience with photographing locals, jews, arabs or whatever. I've been also to Ramallah which is a totally different part. Don't take photographs at checkpoints and have always an "eye on the street", be careful in some parts of the Old Town and surrounding areas. No pictures are allowed inside Yad Vashem.

Some good points by Andyman. Clearly do not take photos of checkpoints or airports. If you go south you may find that you are restricted near certain sites on the way but you will be told before you get there.

If you are meeting your group in Israel you can buy a VIP security/passport pass with/without transport to your hotel. Not cheap but saves a lot of time and frustration. 

I have taken lots of pics in Yad Vashem - never aware that it was a problem. Planning to take some more on my next trip. 

dov

Thanks, all.We will arrive in Jerusalem and depart from Tel Aviv, going to Tiberias, the Dead Sea, Eilat, and Masada along the way. Optional side trip to Petra.

Minor question:  do hotels have the two-prong European outlets or the three-prong type H?  I have seen it mentioned both ways online. I know we can buy adapters there, but would rather be prepared. 

The standard is H type. European two pin sockets in the bathroom. Been to Petra twice. Fascinating, unique, different - well worth a visit. Eilat is just a beach resort, you could be anywhere. Sun goes down early so it's a long evening. Have a wonderful time.

dov

Archived