NEX 6 versus a6500

I've carried out a quick comparison of the performance of the two sensors at ISO1600 and written it up here

I was concerned that the more crowded a6500 sensor might result in noisier pics, but....

In essence this crude test shows that the a6500 captures more detail and with less noise, so win win, but cost cost! 

Either of these cameras is fine for shooting stock, I've never had a QC failure with the NEX (tempting fate...).

Interesting. Does the a6500 have the same sensor as the a6000? The latter would be more in my price range, although I have no plans to switch from the NEX-6, which continues to serve me well.

BTW, I recently splurged on the the Sony E 35mm f/1.8 lens with OSS. Really nice little lens, sharp across the entire frame by f/5.6. Results are good even wide open. AF is very fast. Would definitely recommend, for low-light especially. I found a used one in pristine shape for a very fair price at a local camera store. It actually came with a bit of warranty.

I don't think that it is the same sensor John, but the differences may not be great. I went for the a6500 because of the image stabilisation but the the a6000 looks to be a bargain at present.

Actually I'm beginning to find problems with the in camera IS, to date two shots with short focal length lenses at decent shutter speeds have come out with the kind of blur you would expect due to camera shake. (On the other hand my keep ratio with hand held telephoto shots has improved dramatically.) In one of those two instances I had left the camera set to 150mm while shooting with a 12, so maybe user error to blame, but the other one was a complete surprise. It is possible to switch the IS off, but photos taken with a tripod and IS on, have been crystal clear. 

Enjoy your 35mm lens.  I'm pretty well sorted in that department, but would like a better alternative to the Sigma 19mm and maybe my Pentax 28 ( although I have tried the equivalent Olympus and Canon FT 28mm lenses and the samples I found were no better, NIkons and Zeiss go for silly money, but there may be a reason for that!)

I don't think that it is the same sensor John, but the differences may not be great. I went for the a6500 because of the image stabilisation but the the a6000 looks to be a bargain at present.

Actually I'm beginning to find problems with the in camera IS, to date two shots with short focal length lenses at decent shutter speeds have come out with the kind of blur you would expect due to camera shake. (On the other hand my keep ratio with hand held telephoto shots has improved dramatically.) In one of those two instances I had left the camera set to 150mm while shooting with a 12, so maybe user error to blame, but the other one was a complete surprise. It is possible to switch the IS off, but photos taken with a tripod and IS on, have been crystal clear. 

Enjoy your 35mm lens.  I'm pretty well sorted in that department, but would like a better alternative to the Sigma 19mm and maybe my Pentax 28 ( although I have tried the equivalent Olympus and Canon FT 28mm lenses and the samples I found were no better, NIkons and Zeiss go for silly money, but there may be a reason for that!)

Hmmm... that's odd. Perhaps the problem with IS has something to do with the lack of communication between your MF lenses and the camera body. Do you notice this problem with the Sigma 19mm?

Yes, the a6000 is a bit of a bargain here as well. But my credit card bills tell me that I need to "soldier on"  with the NEX-6 for the time being.

I got the Sony 35mm mainly because I was disappointed with the legacy 28mm Minolta lens that I was using. The Sony blows it out of the water in just about every department. Also, I love OSS and am now an incurable AF addict. All that wrist-turning to manual focus gets tiring. B)

Interesting. Does the a6500 have the same sensor as the a6000? The latter would be more in my price range, although I have no plans to switch from the NEX-6, which continues to serve me well.

BTW, I recently splurged on the the Sony E 35mm f/1.8 lens with OSS. Really nice little lens, sharp across the entire frame by f/5.6. Results are good even wide open. AF is very fast. Would definitely recommend, for low-light especially. I found a used one in pristine shape for a very fair price at a local camera store. It actually came with a bit of warranty.

I love a good prime lens. That 35mm one you just got looks a goodie.

My NEX-6 performed well and never had a problem with QC. The EVF was a bit dark and I did not like the old NEX software, having been used to the A series from my DSLRs. Bought the A6000 when it came out. The EVF is much better for viewing and it has the SLT software. This is a great camera, but I find that the 24 Mp sensor is too big for my Sony 10-18 wide angle zoom, which I use a lot. By that I mean that the image needs to be downsized to around 4500x3000 because of corners being a bit soft on the lens. My 55-210 zoom can handle its 24 Mp at full size. For in between I tend to use my RX100M3. That camera can be uploaded at full image size except at excessive ISO. Whilst I appreciate that modern single focal lenses mostly are superiour to zooms I hate the idea of trundling around with a bag full of these to cover the 15-315mm (35mm speak) that my light weight kit can cover.

My NEX-6 performed well and never had a problem with QC. The EVF was a bit dark and I did not like the old NEX software, having been used to the A series from my DSLRs. Bought the A6000 when it came out. The EVF is much better for viewing and it has the SLT software. This is a great camera, but I find that the 24 Mp sensor is too big for my Sony 10-18 wide angle zoom, which I use a lot. By that I mean that the image needs to be downsized to around 4500x3000 because of corners being a bit soft on the lens. My 55-210 zoom can handle its 24 Mp at full size. For in between I tend to use my RX100M3. That camera can be uploaded at full image size except at excessive ISO. Whilst I appreciate that modern single focal lenses mostly are superiour to zooms I hate the idea of trundling around with a bag full of these to cover the 15-315mm (35mm speak) that my light weight kit can cover.

One of the reasons that I'll be sticking with the NEX-6 for the foreseeable future is that my current lenses perform fine with the 16MP sensor. If I switch to 24MP, it could open up a whole new and expensive kettle of fish that I can't afford. Plus I would probably end up having to do more downsizing anyway, so the extra MP's would be moot. The exception is the Sony 35mm f/1.8 lens that I just purchased. I'm sure that it would have no trouble handling a 24MP sensor.

I've not found it necessary to downsize images using the larger sensor, but I shoot mainly with prime (if ancient) lenses.

I've yet to try my Sony 55-210 on the a6500, but am hoping that the improved autofocus might result in more keepers. I once got into conversation with a full time pro who was impressed with the 55-210/a6000 combo, whereas, to date, my efforts with that lens and the NEX 6 have been distinctly patchy.

I've not found it necessary to downsize images using the larger sensor, but I shoot mainly with prime (if ancient) lenses.

I've yet to try my Sony 55-210 on the a6500, but am hoping that the improved autofocus might result in more keepers. I once got into conversation with a full time pro who was impressed with the 55-210/a6000 combo, whereas, to date, my efforts with that lens and the NEX 6 have been distinctly patchy.

I often downsize images taken with 55-210 at the long end (165mm+), probably as much out of QC paranoia as anything else. It's also best at f/8, I find, which isn't exactly convenient for a long zoom. That said, it's still a pretty good lens for the price. Wish there was a faster version that didn't cost the earth. Actually, the price of the 55-210 has gone way up in Canada, along with those of most other Sony lenses. Glad I bought mine five years ago when prices were more reasonable.

According to DxO, centre sharpness of the 55-210  is good throughout the zoom range on the a6000:

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-E-55-210mm-F45-63-OSS-mounted-on-Sony-A6000---Measurements__942

P.S. I get the best results with this lens when using flexible spot and continuous AF.

Archived