Wall Art Prints

I've just come across this option in Image Manger:

Don't sell for personal use including single copy, non-retail wall art prints.

It used to be just "Peronsal Use". Alamy, is there a possibility to turn this into two different entries? 

Whereas "Personal Use" might be considered an editorial variety, the sale of prints is clearly a commercial use prohibited by many institutions including theatres, museums and the like.

Looks like I now have to disable personal use prints for all 50,000 images!!!

I've often wondered about this myself. However, if people are buying prints to put on their walls or give as gifts, then it doesn't really sound like commercial use -- i.e. it is a type of personal use. No?

My money is on yes. Commercial usage.

Its a bit of a different beast because it is not a B2B licence to be used in an editorial context.  Its business to end user of the product, the product being the print. This is one of the reasons why I have erred to safe and have restrictions on mine as appropriate.

So, it's neither totally one nor the other -- i.e. the transaction is commercial, but the end-use is personal.

All very confusing...

Commercial use, as I understand it, is when the buyer earns money by using your photography, say, in advertisement. So the buyer can earn money by advertisement which shows some other company logos and trademarks, so it means, that the buyer earns money at the expense of that company which logo is shown in the photo. That's why photos for commercial use shall be free from any logos and trademarks. When you buy a picture for your personal use, you hang it on your wall and that's all. You don't earn money with that image.

But still what if you sell the photo of a Coca-Cola bottle? For editorial purposes - no problem, but for personal use? Doesn't it mean that this is YOU who earn the money at the expense of the Coca Cola Company?

Why did Alamy include personal use in Editorial only choice?

It really is a grey area. Technically, "wall art" images are not being licensed for commercial use, but potentially there are commercial aspects involved. You might say the same about editorial sales, though. We and also the buyers -- e.g. newspapers and magazines -- are earning money at the expense of whoever or whatever is in our images even when they are used editorially.  This sounds like one for the lawyers to argue over.

Archived