Anyone visited Lima in Peru recently?

I'll have four days there before moving up to Huaraz in the the Peruvian Andes for 2 weeks and another day in Lima on the way back.

Anything to watch out for such as problem areas, cultural no nos, things to avoid, things you must see etc.

While the main event will be the mountaineering in the Andes at 5-6,500 metres, I will of course want to make the most of my time there..... including airports etc!

Cheers

Pobably best to stay in Miraflores area or one closeby. Lima is fine although unlike asia I don't walk around with the camera showing. I pull it out of a nondescript bag when I'm ready to take a photo. Apart from that expect the garua  (cloud) in Lima almost 24/7 at this time of year.

Pobably best to stay in Miraflores area or one closeby. Lima is fine although unlike asia I don't walk around with the camera showing. I pull it out of a nondescript bag when I'm ready to take a photo. Apart from that expect the garua  (cloud) in Lima almost 24/7 at this time of year.

Thanks.... That's exactly where we have booked our hotel, Casa Andina Private Collection. I'll be taking my X Pro1 as well as the Sony RX100. I'll probably use the Xpro with a 35mm and keep it out of sight and mainly use the RX100 when walking around.

Thanks.... That's exactly where we have booked our  Casa Andina Private Collection. I'll be taking my X Pro1 as well as the Sony RX100. I'll probably use the Xpro with a 35mm and keep it out of sight and mainly use the RX100 when walking around.

I stayed at the Casa Andina PC when I was in Lima in 2010. It's excellent accommodation in a good area. There was a great cafe downstairs with free wi-fi :-). One thing to be aware of, unless the 'rules' have changed recently, is that Peru customs cannot understand why you would need more than one camera, and if you're subject to their russian roulette system of who to check...they expect a 'refundable' deposit of 20% of your gear's value. You can read more about my experience with Peru Customs here

Thanks.... That's exactly where we have booked our  Casa Andina Private Collection. I'll be taking my X Pro1 as well as the Sony RX100. I'll probably use the Xpro with a 35mm and keep it out of sight and mainly use the RX100 when walking around.

I stayed at the Casa Andina PC when I was in Lima in 2010. It's excellent accommodation in a good area. There was a great cafe downstairs with free wi-fi :-). One thing to be aware of, unless the 'rules' have changed recently, is that Peru customs cannot understand why you would need more than one camera, and if you're subject to their russian roulette system of who to check...they expect a 'refundable' deposit of 20% of your gear's value. You can read more about my experience with Peru Customs here

Excellent..... thanks for this. I'll make sure my wife is carrying the sony camera and I'll keep the xpro and lenses. Very useful info...... cheers

Archived