iMac Monitor Calibration.

I have been using iMac now for a few weeks.  I used iMac's own monitor calibration function and I found the calibration very close to that of my pc monitor which was calibrated with Spider 2.

1. How do you calibrate your iMac? (I know this topic was covered in the old forum but I didn't manage to print it beforehand.) Any tips and advices, please?
  2. My iMac monitor adjust brightness automatically according to the ambient light (I chose this option).  How accurate do you find this automatic adjustment?  Or is it better to turn this off?
  3. Is Spider 2 still good/current enough to calibrate iMac?
  4. How do you control the ambient light where your workstation is?
I am asking this questions as the images, which I edited and uploaded a few days ago, now look a bit darker than I intended.  Obviously the ambient light now and then is different.

Your comments will be very much appreciated.

Sung

I don't bother calibrating my iMac monitor these days and I have the auto brightness adjustment turned off. I have the brightness slider about half way and I simply control ambient by closing the blinds and pulling the curtains aswell if it is a particularly bright day.

Rich.

I use the Spyder 4 Pro on my new type iMac, having previously used the Spyder 2. There's a significant difference in the calibration of the two models. I'm assuming the later version is more accurate (!)

I elect not to use the ambient light adjustment and merely adjust brightness to a comfortable level as per the room conditions. i.e. 75% at night, 100% daytime.

I set my Imac at gamma 2.2 and 6500 Kelvin if this is of help.

I also have an I.Mac which I bought a while ago but I have not yet used it for any post processing....everything looks good on it except...I seem to be losing detail in the shadows. I can process a pic on my laptop and it looks good everywhere else and prints fine...but the shadows are a bit darker and details tend to disappear when viewed on the I.Mac....I don't know why? Am using it in "out of the box mode" !!

I use Spyder 4 Elite for my 27" iMac. Took a bit to figure out why about every calibration was different; dark edits, display with reddish or greenish tint. Did full calibration in fairly dark room with settings of: gamma 2.2, recommended Kelvin and display brightness set all the way up instead of at my comfort level as Datacolor suggests. Finally success. No tint, brightness is good (still all the way up but much dimmer than originally), new edits not dark and have even adjusted many of my images I'm uploading here as they looked dark. Albeit I do like images on the dark side for drama and trying to stop doing that. Oh and I did install an update first, which I think is what cured the tinting problems.

Edit: Can anyone explain to me why it still says I have 0 images when I have 17 up for sale?

Thank for the info, Martyn & Charly.

Edit: Can anyone explain to me why it still says I have 0 images when I have 17 up for sale?

If you log out the forum and re-login, it will show the images.

Sung

Archived