I had a weird view coming up, to the search of "playing with toy car or train [Teenager]" two of my pictures appeared that do *not* have any of the terms "playing with toy car" but only train in its keywords.

I assume the search engine works the way to translate the query into

(playing AND with AND toy AND car) OR train

while a human would more read it like

(playing AND with AND toy) AND (car OR train)

the pictures appeared were

F5D771.jpgF5D773.jpg

Am I right with my assumption or can I avoid having my pictures shown by keywording differently?

I can see myself getting some reds with this answer: it's to do with operator precedence. In most (C, C++, SQL etc.) languages, AND takes precedence over OR.  There is not right or wrong, just how the system is set up/the programming language it uses.

So I would expect a computer to interpret it as: (playing AND with AND toy AND car) OR train

What would a human do? Probably either and both on different occassions, depending on alcohol consumption, sleep the night before, way the wind is blowing... 

It might be helpful if the rules were fully explained and understood so that sort of thing could be avoided.

I can see myself getting some reds with this answer: it's to do with operator precedence. In most (C, C++, SQL etc.) languages, AND takes precedence over OR.  There is not right or wrong, just how the system is set up/the programming language it uses.

So I would expect a computer to interpret it as: (playing AND with AND toy AND car) OR train

What would a human do? Probably either and both on different occassions, depending on alcohol consumption, sleep the night before, way the wind is blowing... 

It might be helpful if the rules were fully explained and understood so that sort of thing could be avoided.

gave you a green on this one, to potetially cancel out reds you may get.

"(playing AND with AND toy AND car) OR trains" is actually mathematically correct, only humans are able to understand the query as "(playing AND with AND toy) AND (car OR train)"

Archived