Sigma A 24 mm f/1.4 DG HSM For Canon

Any thoughts on this lens? I am thinking of getting a Christmas present for myself. It would be used with both a canon 6D, and occasionally 60D. I have been reading reviews that suggest it is much better than Canon's own 24mm, even top of range model. Interested to hear from those who may have worked with the lens for awhile

Not yet with the 24mm, but I became what one could call a Sigma fan.

I use the 35mm Art, 50mm Art and 85mm on my 5dsr and they are all fantastic lenses. 

From own experience the Sigma 50mm/1.4Art outperforms the Canon EF50/1.2L easily by miles if not lightyears.   

I would not think you can go wrong with the 24mm and I am also thinking of getting it after having read a few reviews. 

If unsure, select a decent retailer in your vicinity and borrow both lenses for testing over a weekend.

The shop that I go to does this, but they are about 10% more expensive than the cheapest internet prices.

I am happy to pay that premium for their additional services as I believe it saves me money in the long run. 

Thanks for your comments. Its useful reading reviews, but always better to hear about personal experiences from those who have used equipment for awhile. I am thinking about the 35mm as well. Interstingly, I see Sigma have also released a 24-35mm zoom, which seems an oddly narrow range, but perhaps there are lots of people such as myself who are tossng up buying one or both of these focal lengths, and this fills an interesting gap

Yep, Have seen the 24-35 as well. 

Indeed this would nicely fill the gap between the my Canon 11-24 F4 and the Sigma 35. 

For some shots the 11-24 is too wide and the 35 not wide enough.

He ho, I still got feet that can nicely replace zooming ;) or can crop later. 

The glass currently highest on my wishlist is the Sigma 120-300 F2.8 alongside a 1.4 tele-converter.

I desperately need to replace my almost 20 year old Tamron 200-400, which is far too soft for the 5dsr. 

Edit: as for buying the 24 and 35 primes or the zoom, personally I prefer primes. On the longer end (200mm+) a zoom comes in handy as stepping in and out might require walking quite a bit and the terrain may not be suitable. Also taking the weight of the equipment into account when using primes on the long end.   

I am defintely leaning towards the prime 24mm. I recently bought the latest little nifty fifty, mainly just for family shots, etc. But I am loving using a small lightweight prime again. I have a 100mm macro I use a lot for studio shots, but aside from that, I confess I mainly use zooms for travel and outdoors. But they do seem to give me lazy concrete feet ;)

Lightwight .... the Sigma primes I have are not really on the light side of weight, this could be the same for the 24mm. 

Sometimes I remove the battery grip and mount an older Canon 50f1.8 which is very light, mainly when walking the streets in search for a picture.

I once thought about getting a Canon 40mm pancake for this, as it makes the SLR look less professional, hence grabbing less attention.   

The big plus of using a prime is the simplification - one gets used to the framing and since I do with primes I see the world differently. 

One of our sons uses the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 Art lens on a Nikon D7100, and it's a fantastic lens. Internal focus and zoom, great build. But it's designed for APS-C, so probably not what you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I did! (The 24mm that is). Waited till after Christmas and got it $100 cheaper.  Unfortunately, haven't had a chance to use yet.  Sprained my ankle just before Christmas and it has been healing very slowly, so not able to get out and about terribly much at the moment.  And, no, it wasn't from too much Christmas cheer  ;) .  I am going away for a few days in a couple of weeks, and hope to do some hiking / photography - depending upon the ankle - and will post back here.  

Archived