Should I replace my D3 with a D600?

I need to replace my D3.  It is too heavy for current limits for carry-on luggage and also my back and neck, and it is a dust magnet.  I purchased a second body (a D7000) so I wouldn't have to change lenses on the D3.  This, of course, just added to the carry-on luggage weight.

My new camera requirements (relative to the D3) are 1) lighter weight, 2) on camera dust management (when the D3 was designed, Nikon claimed that this couldn't be done), 3) more pixels on a full sized sensor, 4) higher noise-free ISO, and 5) image quality at least as good as the D3.

Your experiences and advice will be appreciated.

I should add that I have too many Nikkor lenses to switch brands.

Guest dlmphotog

Dick J,

I have migrated to mirror-less cameras for my stock photography and now only use my D3 only for commercial work. I use the Fuji X100 and Fuji X-E1 cameras. They are light weight, have analog manual controls ( I shoot in manual mode) and great image quaintly. The x100 has as good or a bit better IQ then the D3 and the X-E1 is better than that.

Now when I travel I use a ThinkTank briefcase that holds both cameras, chargers, cords, extra batteries, ipad and misc stuff. Much nicer then lugging around a wheeled case.

Hope this helps,

David L. Moore

Dick J,

I have migrated to mirror-less cameras for my stock photography and now only use my D3 only for commercial work. I use the Fuji X100 and Fuji X-E1 cameras. They are light weight, have analog manual controls ( I shoot in manual mode) and great image quaintly. The x100 has as good or a bit better IQ then the D3 and the X-E1 is better than that.

Now when I travel I use a ThinkTank briefcase that holds both cameras, chargers, cords, extra batteries, ipad and misc stuff. Much nicer then lugging around a wheeled case.

Hope this helps,

David L. Moore

+1 I have just migrated over to the X Pro1. I would compare it to the Canon 5dmkii in terms of Raw file quality when processed in Capture 1. The lenses are superb quality and the whole package is very light. I took the camera for a couple of days hike on the summits in the Lakes with the 14mm, 35mm, 60mm, 18-55 and 55-200 and the whole lot weighs less than the 5dmkii & 100-400 lens. Can't believe I used to carry that plus a 17-40L and spares up and down mountains.

Oh, the weight of all 5 lenses and x pro1 + batteries came to about 1900grams

We got a D600. Dust magnet? Dust generator - oil and crap splatter after every few frames, after each (frequent, difficult) cleaning. We got the shutter unit replaced by Nikon and sold the entire kit. I use Sony A99. No dust and if there is dust, it's live view - you can SEE it, so you know to clean it off before shooting! Even then, there's only two or three spots generally, not 50-80 spots as on the D600. Used a Canon 6D for a while - no dust. We have a Nikon D800E which is also dust-free, but there are reports of this having problems.

I've been shooting with the D800 for 6 months now and really love it. Wanted a D600 as a replacement but with so many stories like David's out there I went for the D800 and shoot a lot of the times on 1.2 crop giving 25.1mp almost like a D600. Also working with a X100 and the shoots you can get with that are also fantastic, people don‘t take a second look when shooting street or where you shouldn't like boarder controls etc. If Nikon have sorted out the 'dirty' D600 then the picture quality is right up there if not it's got to be the beast! a D800 with good glass of cause...

Gervais,

The lenses I have for my Nikon bodies are all type G.  Why would you recommend the D800 over the D600?

Dick it's just as David says by all reports. Also, the reason you would want, but not necessarily need, G lenses for a D800 ( and maybe the D600 ) is 36 MP needs a lot of resolving and lesser lenses would probably show up their issues magnified even more so. I enjoy using the D800, but I look at my lenses more of a lifetime thing, whereas cameras come and eventually go, don't they.

That said, the small carry- round cameras like the Sonys or Fujis are brilliant additions to the big chaps like the Nikon D800. The lens I use most is the 24-70G and it performs very well on the D800.

Downside in a way of the D800, is the file size.

I thank you all for your comments.  I was hoping to hear of positive improvements in the D600.  The D800 is really tempting and it is lighter than the D3.  At least I am not lusting for an upgrade to a D4.  I thought I had learned my lesson when Nikon came out with an F6 just after I had purchased what was going to be my last new camera (an F5). The rate of improvements is just breath taking and wallet squeezing.

Thank you all again.

Archived