Lightroom CC2015.2 and 6.2 Remove Chromatic Aberration bug

There is a bug in Lightroom CC2015.2 and 6.2 where the Remove Chromatic Aberration tick box remains unchecked after import when it is set on either as a Development Module default (the way I use it) or as an Import Module Preset. I noticed this quite by accident yesterday evening, tested it a bit to make sure and reported it to Adobe. They have acknowledged that it is a bug and that it should be fixed in the next update. As far as I can see, it’s only the CA setting that is faulty - all other defaults seem to work as normal.

I don’t know if Adobe were already aware of it but I’ve not seen it reported elsewhere - the general furore about the new Import Dialogue is taking precedence over everything I think. This is relevant and potentially important to anybody who uses either of these methods to create basic default development settings upon import (the alternative is to go into Lens Corrections and set it manually but this is slow, tedious and not recommended in general. It would be quite possible to process a lot of files without noticing that the CA button is not ticked - I rarely look at it as I leave it permanently ticked in my defaults. It could even cause unexpected Alamy QC failures - I never check for CA as the LR tickbox works so well on lateral CA. 

There is a simple workaround: after import, select a file, hit the Reset button in the Develop module and then sync all other newly imported files. 

Here is a link to the post on the official Photoshop.com forum which explains the problem in detail.

Adobe have now released a patch update that they claim fixes problems with crashes and improves performance. it doesn't fix this CA bug though. http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/

Aside from the CA bug, I've had no problems with the update and the workaround is simple as long as you know about it. Aside from curiosity about what the furore was about, I also updated because Adobe claim that Panorama had been improved. This is a feature of LR6 I use a lot and find incredibly useful (the best thing about LR6 for my workflow). I've not noticed any change though.  

In any case, it's actually easy to go back to the 6.1.1 but I don't intend to do so.

• 1 month later...

After updating to LR 6.2.1 I find that the synchronise button is not functioning as it did.

When I downloaded images from my camera to a permanent "Temporary" file on the hard drive I could start LR and in the Library module click on a file in the left pane then right click and in the drop down menu click on synchronise and LR automatically added the new images to it's catalogue.

Now I have to import to each file which takes longer.

Am I doing something wrong or not found what I need to set in the presets?

Allan

Allan I'm not clear what you were doing and what has changed. I'm not clear at all what you mean about your previous import method. I'm not clear how you can import from the Library Module for one thing. Do you mean the Imoprt Dialogue - that has been the cause of most of the uproar with 6.2 and is probably best left alone. Adobe have aplogised for 6.2 and are going to reinstate the old import dialogue in the next update so it is probably not worthwhile trying to get to grips with the 6.2 import process as it is not going to be around for too long. The method I have outlined below avoids making settings in the import dialogue completely. There are often multiples ways of doing things in Lightroom. Rather than labour over figuring out what has happened with your workflow which could be very difficult to do, here is a very simple method of setting defaults for all raw files from the same camera.  These can then be modified as required and synchronised after importing. This is the workflow I use - it's one of many possibilities but it does work and it's simple. I do very little in the import dialogue - I apply all settings through defaults and later synchronisation.

First of all you need to set defaults for all files from the same camera. Go into Preferences - Presets and click "Make defaults specific to camera serial number". You could also make ISO specific defaults but let's keep it simple for now. Now select a raw file which you would like to use as a typical newly imported file. Go into the Develop Module and hit the Reset button so that it now has the Adobe defaults for your camera (and maybe lens if you use lens profiles). Now make whatever changes you want your newly imported files to have. For example, I use most of the Adobe defaults for all my images but I turn off sharpening and add a vibrance of 20 which I like for my landscapes. Once you have it as required, hold the alt (or option) key and hit the Reset button again which will now have changed to Set Default. Click it and accept the new default. This can always be changed to anything else at any point. Now any newly imported files will have the settings you created as defaults.

You can easily synchronise images by selecting a set of files in the Library Module and hitting the synchronise button. The settings of the first selected file will be applied to all the other files once you choose which settings to apply in the resulting dialogue. I'm not clear at all what problem you are having there.

Incidentally, I had to revert to Lightroom 6.1 because I was having serious problems with graphics performance perhaps due to my upgrading to El Capitan as well. This just started one evening and it was impossible to work so I reverted and all is normal again. It is very easy to revert should you wish to do so - see https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/roll-back-to-prior-update.html

Thanks MDM for the rollback info. I tried to make the problem clear by being succinct.

When I download images from the cameras they always go direct to a "Temporary Holding" folder on the hard drive in the computer. I have never downloaded images through LR.

In the lefthand pane in LR when in library module I have a list of folders which are on the hard drive, one of which is the "Temp Hold" folder. When I right click on that folder a drop down menu appears and within that menu I left click on "Synchronise".  LR then imports the new images into the LR catalogue.  When it is finished I left click on the "Temp Hold" folder in the panel again and the images appear in the main library screen. Bingo.

Takes longer to describe the action than to execute it.

Allan

Hi Allan - that is quite a non-standard import method which is why I didn't understand what you were getting at but I do now. As I no longer have LR6.2 I can't check out what you are saying. The normal way to import is through the Import Dialogue although there are clearly other ways. You can access the dialogue from the Library Module or through the File Menu. I would suggest that you either roll back to 6.1 or change your import method. There is certainly no need in 6.2 to import images one at a time if you use the Import Dialogue. And yes it does take a lot longer to write about than do it.

Archived