After the theft of a large amount of equipment I am slowly re equipping with some newer cameras and lenses, I occasionally shoot shallow underwater images using a ewa marine bag, I was wondering if anyone had used the Nikon 1 AW1 and how they found it ?

I am currently using a pair of D700 s and usually shoot wide to ultra wide shots.

After the theft of a large amount of equipment I am slowly re equipping with some newer cameras and lenses, I occasionally shoot shallow underwater images using a ewa marine bag, I was wondering if anyone had used the Nikon 1 AW1 and how they found it ?

I am currently using a pair of D700 s and usually shoot wide to ultra wide shots.

Cannot answer your question but a very sorry to hear of the theft. Hope you recover soon.

Allan

I have a Nikon 1 AW1. It is really useful. It was waterproof for about a year but then flooded the battery chamber after a total of about 20 days in a 5 foot surf. It conked out for a couple of weeks after the flood. It seems to be OK now, except a fully charged battery will drain to nothing in about a week.

Nikon specifically warns you not to hold it under a tap, so the pounding in the surf with the water pressure and the sand that I gave it, was much worse. After the wave hits the camera it pounds you into the sand and rolls you up the beach. It is like being inside a washing machine.

Great zoom lens but only 29-70mm equivalent. Buy only the zoom lens and never take it off. Do not use other Nikon 1 lenses above water because you could damage the O ring and cause a leak between camera and lens. Wash off salt water with fresh, and let it dry out for at least 12 hours before opening either of the two chambers. I still use it at the waterline, and on rainy days.

This will damage the camera over time.
high-surf-at-kamaole-beach-3-in-kihei-on
This shot taken while standing up in a lighter surf is OK
surf-coming-on-to-keawakapu-beach-at-kih

Archived