Google Will Track Your Location History

I ran across this news article this morning indicating Google is introducing a new feature in Google Maps that will track where you have been via a "timeline" (not in the sense of a Facebook Timeline, but in the sense of where you have been over time).

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/22/technology/google-maps-timeline/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

I thought this may be a useful feature for those that travel and shoot photos so they can track where they have been and add it to their keywords rather than manually writing in a journal or trying to re-construct the info after the trip.

Jeff G. - I figured you would be one of the most excited about this feature!  LOL

They have been doing it for ages.  My data goes back to 2013. If you are logged into your Google account, you can check yours here.

I remember checking mine a few years ago.  Despite what CNN say, it's never been difficult, or hidden, exactly; they just didn't mention it.

EDIT

I'm not sure it's reliable enough for Geo-locating your photos.  With iPhones, it depends on your phone having a signal and having location services turned on.  The last location they have for me is September 2014, and my phone is on all the time

"You are the only person who can view your own Google Maps Timeline history" . . . wow, that's a relief . . . cough . . .

dd

Archived