Sony EXMOR

Hello fellow photographers,

Question:

Is the Sony EXMOR a good enough camera to take pics as stock photography, or is it better to just use it for editorial? I've taken some breathtaking shots but not sure if it is up to Alamy standards. The camera is on a Phantom 3 Professional Drone and the specs are as follows.

Sensor
Sony EXMOR 1/2.3” Effective pixels: 12.4 M (total pixels: 12.76 M)
Lens
FOV 94° 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.8, focus at ∞
ISO Range
100-3200 (video) 100-1600 (photo)
Shutter Speed
8s -1/8000s
Image Max Size
4000 x 3000
Still Photography Modes
  • Single Shot
  • Burst Shooting: 3/5/7 shots
  • Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB): 3/5
  • Bracketed Frames at 0.7EV Bias
  • Time-lapse

Not sure how much they have improved the Mk3 camera but we use (get given) images from earlier versions (Mk2 IIRC) in client property work and the image quality is not good. The sensor is too small (noise issues) and the lens is really poor to edge/corners.....I mean really poor.

Most people I know using DJIs have started on a Phantom but quickly progressed to something like a Spreading Wings with a GH4. That level of image quality is more than fine for Alamy.

Video is not too bad but DJI calling it professional quality is rather optimistic IME.

Thanks for the information folks.

That's what I was worried about, although some images look really nice with the perfect lighting and angles. The video quality is really nice but I have issues with my PC editing in 4k so I render down to 1080p. I didn't get the Phantom for photography but I thought 12MP would be ok even with the small sensor.

Archived