Can anyone identify these cacti?

Is anyone able to identify any of the cacti in these photos?

a-bowl-of-mixed-cactii-shown-in-sunny-co

a-bowl-of-mixed-cactii-shown-in-sunny-co

It's the same bowl, photographed from different angles.

I also have this one (seeing as I'm now getting better at posting photos here).

a-close-up-of-a-spiky-cactus-ENRKC9.jpg

Yes. Those are the kin of the ones that grew in the pasture I played in as a child. One spine in the end of my big toe that my stepfather cut out with a pocket knife, and related to the one that supplied the spine that hid in my knee, got infected, and caused me to limp for weeks.

I called them, "Stupid dumb cactus". ;)

a-close-up-of-a-spiky-cactus-ENRKC9.jpg

This one looks like pinkflower hedgehog cactus[/b] / Fendler's hedgehog cactus Echinocereus fendleri[/font][/size] native to Southwestern US.

But not at all 100% sure 'cause I don't know the location and there are MANY similar cacti judging only the spines. I only have a little knowledge of Arizona cacti.

Cheers,

Philippe

I am 96.7% sure it's not E. fendleri. Could be another Echinocereus sp. though or Trichocereus sp. as well. Hard to tell without more details (habitat, flowers, etc).

-Jason

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I never knew cactii were so complicated!  These specimens were in southern Spain, but I guess they could be native to anywhere hot and dry.  They were in someone's garden who had bought them for decoration and who didn't know what they were.  

Following a big bout of Googling, I don't think I can tell the difference between Echinocereus and Trichocereus.  The ones in the bowl look like ferocactus, right enough, but I'll bet they look like lots of other species as well.  Maybe I'll stick to photographing in places where plants are labelled - botany was never my thing.

Archived