Need help from Mac users

Since I got my new hard drive installed in my iMac, when I start it up I must have half a dozen boxes that pop up. Dropbox, etc. Things I don't want to see unless I go in applications or menu bar myself.

I can't figure out how to get them out of startup. I can't even find the appropriate file/folder. The only thing I found under the heading of Startup is the place that has the Hard drive icon. I know this was easy and straightforward with my PC.

Got a clue, anyone? I don't.

Betty

Try System Preferences > Users & Groups (might be in 'Account' towards bottom) > Login Items > Check box to hide at startup

I just did the same with my PC..... just straight into config and easy...and they say macs are better. ;)

Not quite what you listed, but " users and groups" got me to Admin and then the boxes to check to hide. Although not everything that's been popping up was listed.

Didn't have time to reboot and check it out. Thanks so much, Geoff!

When shutting down, there may be a dialogue box asking you if, on restart, you want all the windows that were open when you shut down to be relaunched (you tick or untick a box)...

There isn't a dialogue box, other than asking if I really want to shut down. I am still having some after doing what Geoff suggested. One of them is a PS CC box about something new, sharing, etc. a new feature. I close it out, but every time I start Photoshop, it pops up.

If you're on Yosemite, there is a check box in the Shut Down window and text that reads, "Reopen windows when logging back in." It might have been there in Mavericks too.

Archived