I was hoping I could get some recommendations for apps or techniques for fixing hot pixels in post processing.

I've been using Photoshop and the Dust and Scratches filter on a TIFF exported from Lightroom. This has been quite effective but the image has lost some sharpness. I'd like to try a few different approaches to see if I can get the best QC ready image.

I'm on Mac OS 10.10.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Many Thanks

Michael

I would have thought the spot healing brush working on individual hot pixels would be the tool of choice in Photoshop. I only have one that I have ever noticed. Do you have a lot of hot pixels? I don't know what is normal but I would imagine that more than a few per sensor would be beyond tolerance.

Thanks MDM,

Yes there are quite a few. More than I would want to deal with using the spot healing brush.

It's a Nikon D7000 that I've had for three years and I'm not sure if the issue gets worse with time. Reading various webpages seems to suggest Nikon with Sony sensors are prone to this. I don't do any noise reduction in camera because it effectively doubles the time in between shots. The photos I'm working on now are ones where I had to get the shot as quickly as possible and move out of people's way.

Michael

Try this - make a small-as-possible selection around each hot pixel, hit 'delete' and use the 'content aware' fill.

Save it as an action then run it on all the files with the batch processor (test with a few copies first though).

Go for a coffee while it's doing it's thing.

I did this to remove a couple of dust spots on over a thousand files which were for a timelapse.  Worked a treat.

Edit - of course you must add 'deselect', 'save', and' close the file' to the action or you'll end up with a lot of files open...!

Welcome back Geoff. That is a great link. I had never heard of this procedure but those who have tried it seem to swear by it. I had a single hot pixel or hotspot on my D800E which seems to have disappeared so presumably performing a double sensor-cleaning procedure has inadvertently cured it.

The bad news for Armstrong is that the procedure doesn't work in the D7000 according to something I read by the original poster on the dpreview forum - that was 2013 though.

Another variation to try.

https://votefordavid.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/diy-eliminate-hot-pixels-on-nikon-d7000-and-similar-camera-bodies/

I've always found hot pixels disappear from in time my Canon 5D2...and I've had loads...just about 200k activations (50k past it's rated number)....tired old sensor. 

Just tried this on my 5D2, a very visible difference, and (on my monitor) the prior pics have a very slight purple tint as well as the hot pixels, the finished shot appears black without hot pixels.

Archived