I have recently joined Alamy and having problems understanding the file size limits. I work in raw then convert to tiff files. These can end up being around 250mb in tiff depending on editing. I have converted these into jpegs at maxium no compression, however they have ended up being aound 9mb files in jpeg form. Does this mean they are not big enough, because the limit is 17mb. They look fine at 100% pixel ratio 3080x5120. Please can someone help clear this up.

Submission guidelines

We need:

• Images from at least a 6 megapixel DSLR or more. See here for: Recommended digital camera list
  • JPEG’s saved at a high quality setting (i.e. Photoshop level 10 or above).
  • Alpha-numeric file names ending in .jpg.
  • RGB files, not single channel greyscale or CMYK.
  • Uncompressed file sizes of more than 17MB. This means you must use a DSLR camera with at least 6 megapixels.

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/prepare-images.asp

N31L More simply, if you have a picture open in an editor it will usually be very large, ie over 17 MB, that is the uncompressed size. When you save it (compress it), as you said, yours was 9mb.

When the buyer opens the 9mb file in their editor it will be uncompressed and over 17mb. Alamy require the uncompressed files to be over 17 mb's which most DSLR jpegs are when they are opened (but will be much smaller when compressed).

If your jpegs are compressed at 9mb they will definitely be over 17mb when uncompressed, which is what Alamy require.

Put all your pics in a folder and run this little proggy to give BOTH sizes for all the images in the folder... http://www.braeside.plus.com/photography/alamy/alamy.html

I think a simple way of understand file size is when image is open in Photoshop minimum pixel count is 3600x2400 which gives a file size of over 24m, when this size file is stored/compressed as a jpeg the file size is considerable smaller (between 3 and 7) which varies depending on the content of the image, detail/contrast/colour

As I replied to a previous similar thread, Alamy have made it easier to understand by saying that the image must have at least 6 million pixels. If you multiply the width of the image in pixels by the height of the image  in pixels and the result is greater than or equal to 6 million then the image is large enough! The size of the image file on the disk is not relevant to the minimum size test.

Archived