Any suggestion? Where should I buy Canon 5D iii and EOS Lenses in London + Tax Refund

I will be in UK (Swindon, Burnaston Derbyshire and London) for a short visit February 5 to 7, 2015.

During my stay in UK; I am planning to buy a Canon 5D iii and a couple of L type lenses.

I would like to buy from a local dealer/retailer (not gray market) but also due to living out of EU; I would like to be paid Tax Refund in Heathrow Airport (Travelex).

Hence, I need to find a Canon retailer already participated in UK VAT refund scheme.

Anybody can suggest a Canon dealer in Swindon, Burnaston or London already participated VAT refund scheme?

Anybody have good or bad experience regarding VAT refund in Heathrow Airport? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Hasan D.

I used the VAT refund booth at Terminal 3 in Heathrow a couple of years ago. It worked, but wasn't a great experience - the queue was about an hour long, which I was told was normal, so it's important to get to the airport early. And the fee was very high - you don't get all of your VAT back by any means (from memory, something like three quarters only). 

Hope that helps, 

David. 

I used the VAT refund booth at Terminal 3 in Heathrow a couple of years ago. It worked, but wasn't a great experience - the queue was about an hour long, which I was told was normal, so it's important to get to the airport early. And the fee was very high - you don't get all of your VAT back by any means (from memory, something like three quarters only). 

Hope that helps, 

David. 

Thank you very much David.. 

Hope that helps, 

David. 

Thank you very much David.. 

Some shops can do the tax refund on site but you have to put some documents in the customs post box at the airport from which you depart the EU.  Bicester village, for example, is in that category (I did it on my last visit to the UK).

The "service charge" was about 20%. Bit high to my mind!

Thank you very much for your cooperative answers.

Yes.. that is correct..  Turkey is a member of the EU Customs Union..  There is NO Custom Tax between EU countries and Turkey.

However, I think, still VAT is another type of tax and could be refundable for us.

I myself don't have any experience, but some friends of mine already has some sort of past story especially in the Germany, Italy & Netherlands.

It seems; I can calculate 15% back instead of 20%VAT...  because of service charge etc..  

Hasan

There are 2 ways to reclaim VAT.

The first is to use official customs forms, checked and stamped at the airport, and return them to the retailer for a full VAT refund.

Secondly there's the 3rd party schemes like "tax free for tourists", where you'll get an immediate refund, but not for the full amount.

VAT is 20% of the base purchase price, but a full VAT refund equates to a 16.6% reduction in the overall price. 

The first is to use official customs forms, checked and stamped at the airport, and return them to the retailer for a full VAT refund.

Secondly there's the 3rd party schemes like "tax free for tourists", where you'll get an immediate refund, but not for the full amount.

VAT is 20% of the base purchase price, but a full VAT refund equates to a 16.6% reduction in the overall price. 

I asked about that the other day and various retailers said that they only use the schemes.  The argument was that it is cheaper then they would charge for the admin.

[for clarification only]

Andy.. Thanks for the explanations 

I asked about that the other day and various retailers said that they only use the schemes.  The argument was that it is cheaper then they would charge for the admin.

[for clarification only]%

Thanks again Michael..  

Several times, I purchased camera or lenses/filters from "Yodabashi Camera, Osaka"..  They gave me 5% VAT OFF (that time VAT was 5% in Japan) immediately in the shop by recording my passport details. I am not sure whether if this is a regular method or not in Japan. But, they made it so quick and easy for me..

Hasan

Archived