Live View Filters for Stockimo?

Finally bit the bullet and joined the 21st century with an iPhone 5. Now slowly exploring the world of 'cool' images and trying to let my creative juices run riot:)

Based on an earlier thread I've been using Snapseed for post-processing. However, I've noticed that some apps provide 'Live View' filters so that effects can be seen while shooting the image.

Is anyone using Live View filters and, if so, what app(s) appear to be the most effective?

Cheers

John

I have had some nice shots with the built in live filter 'process.' It gives a sort of quasi cross processed look. I found it quite effective on beach shots, where it gave them the effect of looking 'vintage.'

I do tend to use Snapseed for Stockimo though. It's easier on an iPad, but I have used it on an iPhone in the past.

There is one called Magicam where you can apply a filter at the time of shooting, but I would question why? For much the same reason as with a normal camera, better to capture best quality image you can and then post-process with Snapseed or other Apps. To that end, for capture, I use Camera+ and not the Apple Camera. It gives more flexibility in shooting, including allowing you to save images a Tiff, rather than JPEG. I may be wrong, but I think the Apple camera only saves as medium quality JPEG2000. Applications like snapseed and VSCOcam allow import of Tiff files, though export as JPEG. I believe Filterstorm Neue allows re-export as Tiff.

There is one called Magicam where you can apply a filter at the time of shooting, but I would question why? For much the same reason as with a normal camera, better to capture best quality image you can and then post-process with Snapseed or other Apps. To that end, for capture, I use Camera+ and not the Apple Camera. It gives more flexibility in shooting, including allowing you to save images a Tiff, rather than JPEG. I may be wrong, but I think the Apple camera only saves as medium quality JPEG. Applications like snapseed and VSCOcam allow import of Tiff files, though export as JPEG. I believe Filterstorm Neue allows re-export as Tiff.

Some interesting thoughts Kerin - many thanks. However, I do wonder if achieving the best image quality is such a priority with Stockimo. I was getting the distinct impression that obtaining a 'cool' and striking image is far more important. For eg, if using something like Hipstamatic to simulate 'plastic cameras' then surely you have little or no control over whatever is happening to image quality as we understand it in the traditional Alamy QC context.

I agree re Alamy QC, and not thinking in those terms. However, you will find if you open images in multiple apps, quality deteriorates significantly even when looking through prism of creative filters. A better quality image with "plastic" filters still looks better than lower quality one with same filters. You may also find that if you take with Instagram, for instance, the low quality may not get past the gate with Stockimo- there is still a minimum file size when uploading. Also worth thinking about whether you will sell iPhone photos elsewhere. Other agencies have iPhone apps but specifically say they don't want photos filtered. So basically they still want traditional quality standards. I have to admit, I am only just starting to use the Tiff option myself (only just discovered it), but have generally used highest quality JPEG where I can. If you want to see great quality - technical and artistic - iPhone photos, but without gimmicky filters, check out the VSCOcam grid - it changed my view of iPhone photos completely. Hopefully gives you some ideas anyway.

John - I am very new to using the iPhone for photos....but when you open the camera app that came with the phone, you can select a filter before capturing the image by tapping the icon of three circles on the bottom right and choose a filter to use.  What you see on the phone screen is the filtered version in "live view" mode.

Archived