Client side website provider

It looks like I am going to have to change my client interactions in one particular case so need to look for other website solutiions to current ftp/server/lightboxing.

I need to be able to create private galleries, to allow the client to download from those galleries (even at high res), maybe to be able to create a lightbox or contact sheet....all as remotely from me as possible.

Does anyone use a website with these facilities, I'm thinking Photoshelter/Zenfolio etc. Currently I use a WP based site and the client addons just don't seem to work for images.

The client can't use ftp, so the website needs to allow some other dl/transfer method. Maybe also, a third party could also be able to dl images, though not essentail as I could dropbox those or allow client to do that.

I believe both Zenfolio and Photoshelter provide private galleries, with options for clients to download and indicate selections. Zenfolio seems to be a lot cheaper than Photoshelter, and as far as I've seen the only major thing it doesn't have that Photoshelter does have, that I've noticed, is fully-featured stock pricing. 

My Zenfolio site (see link below, though not yet fully developed) was easy to set up, and is very easy to keep up-to-date through Jeffrey Friedl's plugin for Lightroom (http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/zenfolio) - you just drag images to a publishing collection within LR, then click 'publish' (there's a bit of a set-up process to go through, but it's very straightforward and Jeffrey's instructions are easy to follow). I believe Zenfolio also provides a web-based uploader. 

There are also similar plugins with similar functionality available for Photoshelter. 

David

Thanks David,

Do any of the usual suspects allow the client to make a lightbox within the gallery or a contact sheet for printing out??

Zenfolio, I like it have used it for years, more important my clients like it. Especially the ability to download all the hi res file at the same time (if I allow that) not the unlimited storage.

http://www.markbaigentphotography.co.uk/

My Referral Code: JNT-A8S-KPR to safe a few pennies

The three big providers are Photoshelter, SmugMug, and Zenfolio.

I have experience with Photoshelter and Zenfolio (about 2 years at each).  I prefer Photoshelter because I can FTP to the website and FTP from the website - when FTP'ing from the website, you are using their servers for the process so you set an FTP job for about 50 images and shut your computer off.  You'll receive an email when you are done.

When I left Zenfolio, they did not have FTP functionality (I don't know if that's changed).

I also like Photoshelter because you can incorporate fotoquote for RM stock sales.  Zenfolio does not have that functionality.

All three above allow you to download high resolution files from a locked gallery (you just need to provide them a login ID and Password).  I believe all three have lightbox functionality.

Archived