I'm a newbie and want to make sure I understand the "Editorial Use Only" designation.

Does this mean that the photograph can depict people and private property that I don't have releases for?

What limitations do I have?

What customers buy "Editorial Use Only" photos?

Am I severely limiting my chances of selling if most of my photos are "Editorial Use Only"?

This question comes up again and again and again. Here's a recent thread that should answer most of your questions:

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/3298-portraits-and-model-releases/?hl=%2Bmodel+%2Brelease

I also suggest you go to the Alamy homepage and read everything under 'sellers.' 

Good luck, Edo  :)

I'm a newbie and want to make sure I understand the "Editorial Use Only" designation.

Does this mean that the photograph can depict people and private property that I don't have releases for?

What limitations do I have?

What customers buy "Editorial Use Only" photos?

Am I severely limiting my chances of selling if most of my photos are "Editorial Use Only"?

Most newspapers, magazines, retail book and textbook publishers will lease "editorial only" photos. You only need to consider setting an image for "editorial use only" if it needs releases and you don't have them. It's basically your call because most clients can (hopefully) figure out whether or not an image is suitable for commercial use. Personally, I just put "editorial use only" in the description field if I feel that it's really necessary (which isn't very often).  Confusing, I know, good luck.

Archived