Figured out the keyword issue - I think

I was going back into some of my original images to perk up the keywords anywhere I thought I could. And I noticed something.

In the beginning, I thought you had to add commas when keywording, so I did.

About 6 months ago I did some re-keywording on some images and didn't bother adding the commas.

Notice the difference in how they appear in the image listing.

keywords.jpg

This is how they appear in the image listing:

5African landscapeanimalanimalsbabybigcamouflagecatcutefivegame drivegrasslandlion cubLionesslions,mammalmammalsnaturenobodyoutdoorsoutsidepanthera leopredatorpredatoryserengeti plainsSerengeti plains safari,Stalking lionwildwildlifeyoung

My original keyword phrases appear together that had had commas inserted by me.

The keywords I added later without commas all strictly come alphabetically. So it would seem whether you put commas, brackets, or quotes, any punctuation that you put in that keeps certain words together will show as one phrase in the keyword list. As long s they are put in by you and not later by Alamy. Not that it is helpful to us the photographer, but certainly more helpful to the searching customer who wants to click on a keyword for other photos.

Jill

Thanks Jill. My experience is similar and I think I've pinned it down to one or two submissions from mid-September. On those the system ignored my commas and put one in between all words. Other than that the system has recognized my commas and preserved my phrases for seven years. My last submission also had my phrases intact, so I think there was a temporary glitch. I've redone the few that needed redoing and will know in 24 hours or so if things are now working as they have for seven years. I don't enjoy putting commas back in the keyword fields after upload, but I do like to have control over this. Not ready to use quotes, though.

Hmm, I just found the same thing for one of my early ones from last year that still had commas in my keywording.  The keywords between commas were grouped together in the image listing.   

So what to do? Shall I keyword a photo WITHOUT commas and use commas only to separate the phrase? For example:

nature plant flower tulip, red tulip, garden

Remember, this doesn't affect search any, only the way they are displayed in the listing to the customer. 

Jill

Archived