Hi All

Are there any legal issues surrounding sale of images of prehistoric cave paintings (some on private property, others in nature reserves and the like)?

Your thoughts please.

Regards

mssulaiman

Unlikely to be any copyright issues, if prehistoric the original artists are long gone. However, property issues may be another matter. For instance, you may not be allowed to photograph on private property without permission, and in nature or historic reserves there may be restrictions as a condition of entry. Also, at least in our country, there are some cultural sensitivities with indigeneous peoples sacred sites that may make it inappropriate to take photographs.

I don't see any hard and fast rule that could apply across the board. There's a need to approach each case individually. By obtaining permission if private land or a nature or historic reserve. As to sacred sites, this may be more difficult and would require a bit of investigation up front I would think.

Ken

There are torches powerful enough for the current generation of high iso cameras ... But often you aren't allowed to photograph them, not even shown to you, in the case of the most famous ones you are shown only replicas of the original ones. And as already pointed out, if they are on private land / property than you need a release.

I saw Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams and I seem to remember he needed very special permission just to film there. Just for people to come in with their lights and breathing I think would be desctructive to the paintings.

I

if they are on private land / property than you need a release.

You certainly need permission, not necessarily a release.

It depends what you intend to do with the photos. The permission to photograph doesn't necessarily include the permission for non private usages... at least in Germany.

All known European caves with paintings are now strictly controlled but if you find a new one, get busy with the camera before bureaucracy takes hold. The new LED lights would be pretty safe and ISO capabilities of modern digital cameras mean you don't have to flood the place with light. Africa has many many examples of paintings and engravings on rock shelters some of which would qualify as caves.   There are a lot of them in my Alamy portfolio. Permission and release issues do not really apply, but the convention within societies who seek to safeguard these sites is that you should not reveal specifically the location. Of course, this is a considerable key wording limitation! But there have been too many incidents of vandalism and theft. I have North American rock art which I photographed early on, but I expect there are National Trust type attempts at limiting "commercial photography"

Aboriginal rights in Australia is a special case although I do have a few from way back before it became such a public issue.

Archived