Captions for Sports Editorial too short in Manage Images

Hi everyone, 

I started to upload editorial sports images through the web upload (I dont have ftp yet). Those images have correct captions and headlines but the limitations to 128 letters is inadequate. I read in old article that news images have 300 letters. Can I alter it somehow? Or I just submit those with shortened caption, and the search engine will take it from IPTC? 

Thanks for help.

Hi everyone, 

I started to upload editorial sports images through the web upload (I dont have ftp yet). Those images have correct captions and headlines but the limitations to 128 letters is inadequate. I read in old article that news images have 300 letters. Can I alter it somehow? Or I just submit those with shortened caption, and the search engine will take it from IPTC? 

Thanks for help.

Actually if you are registered for News upload (even via web news upload not FTP) you have 600 characters for Caption and very specific IPTC data requirements (completely different to stock). I use the web news upload frequently as I haven't asked for FTP yet but I am registered for News - see My Alamy for those that haven't registered.

News guidleines including metadata: http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/news-picture-guidelines.asp

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for help.

Actually if you are registered for News upload (even via web news upload not FTP) you have 600 characters for Caption and very specific IPTC data requirements (completely different to stock). I use the web news upload frequently as I haven't asked for FTP yet but I am registered for News - see My Alamy for those that haven't registered.

News guidleines including metadata: http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/news-picture-guidelines.asp

Aha thats why, I applied, but so far didn't received the response, thank you for letting me know. I will wait a little bit more ;)

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for help.

Do you need to be registered for News Upload via the Web Interface? Don't you just caption the images and upload them in a similar way to Stock Uploads?

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for help.

Do you need to be registered for News Upload via the Web Interface? Don't you just caption the images and upload them in a similar way to Stock Uploads?

Not certain what you are asking but if you click the UPLOAD button you will get a choice of news upload or stock upload. That's if you have been approved for news. The more serious news reporters can get the use of FTP.

Paulette

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for help.

Not certain what you are asking but if you click the UPLOAD button you will get a choice of news upload or stock upload. That's if you have been approved for news. The more serious news reporters can get the use of FTP.

Paulette

That was my understanding, but some people seem to suggest, on this and other threads, that to do News Uploads via the normal Web Interface you need to apply and be accepted. I didn't apply, it was just available!

The News web upload bypasses the normal QC channels but they are viewed by the News team so don't think you can get marginal stock images past them! You do need to apply (at least usually!) and have a solid QC track record to be accepted.

If you are registered and upload via the web news upload interface they will appear on the news feed within minutes of the upload, my experience is that it is usually less than 10minutesz before they appear. My understanding is if they are hot and of national or international interest they will also be pushed (via FTP) on a speculative basis to potential clients. Apparently it is less than about 10% of stories are pushed this way - understandable if you look at the content of the news feed. They will appear in normal track submissions and be shown as media type "Online upload - News" with a status "Bypassed QC - now manage your images" - the latter is to ensure proper key wording and attributes for when they go into normal stock after 48 hours.

I have not applied for News ftp upload privileges as , so far, I have only sent one or two news stories a month, that may change from September.

As I recall, when the news feed was started some of us with good QC records were notified that we could submit to it. People who have joined Alamy since then apparently have to ask for the privilege. It is a matter of having a good enough record that they can trust that the images you submit can be put up immediately without being checked.

Paulette

As I recall, when the news feed was started some of us with good QC records were notified that we could submit to it. People who have joined Alamy since then apparently have to ask for the privilege. It is a matter of having a good enough record that they can trust that the images you submit can be put up immediately without being checked.

Paulette

I can't remember asking to be able to submit to Alamy News, so I went back through my emails, and the mystery is solved! I must have just joined at a time when they were actively seeking new contributors - April 2012.

"Dear Contributor,

We are expanding the number of contributors who are able to submit images to the Alamy News Feed. Because of your good QC record and recent activity on Alamy, we have switched you on for the web upload route for news, sport and entertainment images.
.." 

Archived