Hi had a sale two days ago  on the 17 July photo DAN8XY, only the second this year for $12;21. Alamy Distributor commission 30%, $3;66,  plus  40% Distributor commission $4;88.  "70% altogether" . I receive 30% only  $3;67.  Can you explain this to me.   I only get 30% Geoff

We will be paying Alamy next :(

Not likely. I have never submitted to a library or agency which requires the contributor to pay "storage fees" on their site.

If Alamy wishes me to pay them I'm out.

Allan

I have been lucky in most sales with Alamy, my fees have not been too low,  however nothing to get over excited about, i have better and much worse elsewhere,  it is 3rd party distribution that kills our end fees.

Years ago i said that we are similar to farmers offering a product that others profit from more than we do!

We have all seen farmers with small stands on the roadside selling there produce,  often cheaper and fresher than in a supermarket, and getting more for their products, i guess we photographers try doing the same with direct online marketing, witch i think is harder than standing on the side of the road waiting for a passerby  to stop and shop,

Paul.

I have been lucky in most sales with Alamy, my fees have not been too low,  however nothing to get over excited about, i have better and much worse elsewhere,  it is 3rd party distribution that kills our end fees.

Years ago i said that we are similar to farmers offering a product that others profit from more than we do!

We have all seen farmers with small stands on the roadside selling there produce,  often cheaper and fresher than in a supermarket, and getting more for their products, i guess we photographers try doing the same with direct online marketing, witch i think is harder than standing on the side of the road waiting for a passerby  to stop and shop,

Paul.

Print and sell on a local market stall?

Allan

i was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago, and then one sale got cancelled! but was happy that my 30% was ok amount -- perhaps more happy that it was my first sale though!

i also got confused with a mag buying an image, for print but using it online too, but only mentioned print in the specs of sale - turns out this comes under "archival rights"

yet to have a "direct alamy" sale.

Another agency I have used shares its commission with resellers (some in its home market) so the photographer still gets 50%. That sounds a more equitable approach as it is the library's decision to use sub-agents rather than work in those markets itself.

Problem is although that agency place a lot of images (often at very low prices) they are a disaster when it comes to following up unreported usage - basically they don't!

Guest dlmphotog

When Alamy went from 60% to 50% payout I drop out of the distribution scheme. If you accept low commissions then you’ll get more of them. I don’t know why any content provider would be happy with 30%?

David L. Moore

When Alamy went from 60% to 50% payout I drop out of the distribution scheme. If you accept low commissions then you’ll get more of them. I don’t know why any content provider would be happy with 30%?

David L. Moore

The agencies providing, IME, by far the highest returns in stock are also the ones who have the widest distribution and often you are getting a fraction of the original sales price. 

Content providers are surely only interested in returns, commission rates are only talked about when returns are poor.

Archived