What about when a legitimate buyer puts these 'share' buttons on their page, so that their article/advert, complete with an Alamy image, can be copied onto Fb and/or other social media? I know of a recent example where an Alamy RM image was purchased and used in an a 'top ten location' article, with all the little 'share' buttons. A hotel in the top location copied the article and photo onto their Facebook page as a means of promoting their resort. Alamy support merely confirmed that the hotel company had not purchased the image an the artist was free to pursue them, as per usual.

If buyers are legitimately allowed to put these share buttons on their pages with our images, as presumably they are allowed to do as per the Support answer, all the above is moot. That particular article/photo had been shared hundreds of times by the time the tog discovered its original use.

What about when a legitimate buyer puts these 'share' buttons on their page, so that their article/advert, complete with an Alamy image, can be copied onto Fb and/or other social media? I know of a recent example where an Alamy RM image was purchased and used in an a 'top ten location' article, with all the little 'share' buttons. A hotel in the top location copied the article and photo onto their Facebook page as a means of promoting their resort. Alamy support merely confirmed that the hotel company had not purchased the image an the artist was free to pursue them, as per usual.

If buyers are legitimately allowed to put these share buttons on their pages with our images, as presumably they are allowed to do as per the Support answer, all the above is moot. That particular article/photo had been shared hundreds of times by the time the tog discovered its original use.

double

Same here! In addition to the 'Share', 'Pin it', etc. buttons, my photographs are defined in the metadata of some websites as og:image.

For more information look at:

http://ogp.me

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/opengraph/howtos/maximizing-distribution-media-content

3. Use proper Open Graph tags

Open Graph tags are included in your page's HTML and allow the Facebook Crawler to generate previews when your content is shared on Facebook.

og:image – This is an image associated with your media. We suggest that you use an image of at least 1200x630 pixels.

There are also special tags for other social media sites.

Please Alamy explain if this is allowed.

Share does not have to mean the image is hosted on the Facebook servers... I "share" images from most of work via my website buy linking to the image page... The image remains on my site although Facebook does create a thumbnail. Many other sites that 'share' on Facebook do this and users clicking on the share are sent to the posters website....

I do agree though that images posted directly on Facebook are in danger and thats why I ask a client if they are doing that the image should be watermarked..

Archived