Sensor cleaning

Not sure if this topic has been covered previously but I thought worth sharing my experiences.

I purchased a Leica M240 some 6 months ago and was immediately confronted with the well documented problem of wet cleaning this very difficult sensor. As much as I tried I could not not get it clean. Straight from the box and spots everywhere. (I gues one expects a few problems with an $8,000 camera !) Rocket Blower, Arctic Butterfly just had no effect. Visible Dust swabs and their various fluids failed. Smears everywhere, which was strange as I've been using this on my other digicams successfully. I was ready to return the camera.

I contacted Leica who recommended isopropyl which is the fluid they use. I was sceptical but what the heck. Cheap as chips at the local pharmacy. Bingo. Two drops on a VB Vswab, one light swipe and a reverse swipe on the "dry" side of the swab and spotless. F22 against a deep blue sky and not a blip.

I had to wet clean frequently for the first few months but after putting a few thousand actuations through all now seems to have settled down and a quick weekly blow with an anti-static blower keeps it spotless.

Isopropyl really works.

Might be of interest to others.

Not to change topics (OK maybe to change topic)...what are your thoughts on the M240.  I have been considering one for a long time.  I went with Fuji instead...but it's not the same.  I love my MP (though I don't shoot stock with it) and I absolutely love my 35 and 50 Summicron lenses.

@ ED. I've been shooting with an M6 TTL for some years now although, like yourself, not for stock. It's the rangefinder experience for me. I love it. I passed on the M8 and M9 but couldn't resist the M240. And I'm glad I didn't. Brilliant camera. Coming from Leica film there's no learning curve. No endless menu's to plough through. Select the ISO, exposure, focus and shoot. It doesn't do anything else and I don't want it to. The files are awesome. DR and tonal range is superb and they take an incredible amount of post abusing without degradation. ISO 3200 is cleaner than my Canon 5D MK2. Folks debate the use of the CMOS sensor and it's colours but get the exposure right and it sings. Having the facility to use an EVF is a real bonus for wide and long lenses. No more need for separate viewfinders and I can now nail focus with my 90mm so easy with the focus peaking. I could harp on and on but I think you get the idea.

I keep my Fuji for AF grab shots but the M240 is what's with me 90% of the time.

You won't regret buying it.

Hope this helps

Not sure if this topic has been covered previously but I thought worth sharing my experiences.

I purchased a Leica M240 some 6 months ago and was immediately confronted with the well documented problem of wet cleaning this very difficult sensor. As much as I tried I could not not get it clean. Straight from the box and spots everywhere. (I gues one expects a few problems with an $8,000 camera !) Rocket Blower, Arctic Butterfly just had no effect. Visible Dust swabs and their various fluids failed. Smears everywhere, which was strange as I've been using this on my other digicams successfully. I was ready to return the camera.

I contacted Leica who recommended isopropyl which is the fluid they use. I was sceptical but what the heck. Cheap as chips at the local pharmacy. Bingo. Two drops on a VB Vswab, one light swipe and a reverse swipe on the "dry" side of the swab and spotless. F22 against a deep blue sky and not a blip.

I had to wet clean frequently for the first few months but after putting a few thousand actuations through all now seems to have settled down and a quick weekly blow with an anti-static blower keeps it spotless.

Isopropyl really works.

Might be of interest to others.

Thanks for this, I'll certainly give that a try next time. 

@ ED. I've been shooting with an M6 TTL for some years now although, like yourself, not for stock. It's the rangefinder experience for me. I love it. I passed on the M8 and M9 but couldn't resist the M240. And I'm glad I didn't. Brilliant camera. Coming from Leica film there's no learning curve. No endless menu's to plough through. Select the ISO, exposure, focus and shoot. It doesn't do anything else and I don't want it to. The files are awesome. DR and tonal range is superb and they take an incredible amount of post abusing without degradation. ISO 3200 is cleaner than my Canon 5D MK2. Folks debate the use of the CMOS sensor and it's colours but get the exposure right and it sings. Having the facility to use an EVF is a real bonus for wide and long lenses. No more need for separate viewfinders and I can now nail focus with my 90mm so easy with the focus peaking. I could harp on and on but I think you get the idea.

I keep my Fuji for AF grab shots but the M240 is what's with me 90% of the time.

You won't regret buying it.

Hope this helps

Thanks!

Archived