Sony NEX 20 mm pancake lens

Just wondering if anyone is using the 20 mm f/2.8 pancake lens on their NEX camera(s). It is supposedly quite an improvement optically over the original 16 mm version. Sony apparently has the 20 mm lens on clearance:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-20mm-f2-8-is-on-clearance-new-version-coming/

Kurt Munger's review here.

P.S. I know this lens doesn't begin to compare with those lovely Zeiss lenses, but I'm a poor man. I also like the compactness of the pancakes.

Hmm. $350 is not exactly cheap. And a view (a frame) of 30mm doesn't thrill me. If the view was 20mm I'd grab it up. The pancake size is attractive . . . but is there some other $350 advantage over the 20mm view on whichever Sony zoom you're using? 

I agree, Ed, 20 mm isn't an especially thrilling focal length. This lens caught my attention partially because it is reportedly compatible with Sony's 0.75X  "ultra wide angle" converter, which I'm currently using with the 16 mm pancake lens for the occasional wide shot. My guess is that the price will eventually drop below $300.

It would interesting to hear from someone who has used both the 16 mm and 20 mm pancakes (without maple syrup, hopefully) and can compare them.

Archived