Supertags

Alan Robinson

Question

Hi There,

How long before my Supertags should show up differently from my keywords and is there anywhere else in the page source where I can see them. I have tried CTRL:F.

Both sets appear to be the same but slightly shorter in the one set, but do not bear any resemblance to my selected Supertags.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks

Alan

11 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Alan Robinson said:

Thanks for your response.

When I go into Alamy as a client to see the response of my supertags, i look in page source and then hit CTRL;F and key in the search KEywords and go to the relevant line, there are usually a choice of two, they are very similar. Is there anywhere in the Page Source where Supertags are defined?

I naturally can see them in AIM but nowhere online

A client might be blissfully unaware that supertags are even a thing. Clients don't care about the technical stuff behind the scenes like supertags.. they care about finding images relevant to what they need an image for. So I don't see why the client view of Alamy would show supertags as being anything different to just another keyword.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Not sure what you're asking Alan. You flag certain keywords as Supertags in AIM and you can see that immediately. Whenever the next Alamy database refresh takes place (normally 24 hours), your images are on sale, with all your keywording (but supertags don't show up to clients).

When I go into Alamy as a client to see the response of my supertags, i look in page source and then hit CTRL;F and key in the search KEywords and go to the relevant line, there are usually a choice of two, they are very similar. Is there anywhere in the Page Source where Supertags are defined?

I naturally can see them in AIM but nowhere online

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

A client might be blissfully unaware that supertags are even a thing. Clients don't care about the technical stuff behind the scenes like supertags.. they care about finding images relevant to what they need an image for. So I don't see why the client view of Alamy would show supertags as being anything different to just another keyword.

Yes

Not really relevant to your question but if you download your csv data file you will see that if you make a keyword a supertag it is moved (not copied) to a different data field, presumably so it can play its own mysterious part in the Alamy Algorithm. I find that very useful for seeing just how many of my images don't have supertags so I can go in and correct. I think that everyone agrees that supertags play quite a major part in the algorithm, though seemingly some of us on here don't use them at all. That same csv is useful for seeing which images don't have categories, either primary or secondary, though no-one knows what they do, if anything.

Important to note that the csv is entirely useless for seeing if you have entered '0' for People or 'No' for Property, the data fields just show the default.

Edited by Harry Harrison

3 hours ago, Alan Robinson said:

No.

The customer's search words are simply used by Alamy's search engine to find images that contain the same words in their caption, super-tags or tags. The customer can't specify which fields the search engine should look in. Alamy's search engine assigns a ranking to each image found according to which fields contain matches with the customer's keywords. For example images containing a matching super-tag are given higher ranking than images that contain only a matching tag. This ranking may be combined with other factors such as previous sales, zooms and a contributor's Alamy rank to determine the final position of each image in the search results. If all other factors are equal, images with matching super-tag should appear higher in the search results than images with only a matching tag. 

Mark

Thanks for all your comments and observations.

So when I complete my supertags and save, I can basically trust the algorithim to do its work and meanwhile keep an eye on CTR to check for improved placement of images.

Cheers

Alan

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alan Robinson said:

Thanks for all your comments and observations.

So when I complete my supertags and save, I can basically trust the algorithim to do its work and meanwhile keep an eye on CTR to check for improved placement of images.

Cheers

Alan

Yup. 

If it's not accountants ruling the world, it's algorithms.

1 hour ago, Alan Robinson said:

You could also test some of your your similar images, or maybe even more. One with no supertags, one with, one with those keywords in the caption as well, variations on that theme, then see if the order that they appear in a general search varies, their relative ranking as it were. Obviously allow for the server to update overnight to register the changes. I keep meaning to do it myself, but then I keep meaning to do a lot of things.