Spreadsheet to display contents of Adobe Camera Raw Develop Presets

Posted (edited)

Over the years I've built up quite a collection of ACR Develop Presets and it's not always easy to retrospectively check exactly which adjustments each preset applies (did I tick too many boxes!!). So, I've knocked up an Excel spreadsheet with VBA macros to load and display the contents of Adobe Camera Raw xmp files in a side by side table to allow settings to be easily viewed and compared.

ACR-Preset-Inspector-V1h.png

A copy of the Excel spreadsheet Version 1h is available for download from here

It was written in Excel 2010 for Windows, but hopefully works in newer Excel versions and, after some modifications, Version 1h appears to work in Excel 365 downloaded from the App Store on Mac.

NB. When opening it will display a security warning because it contains VBA macros I've written, which need to be enabled, or the spreadsheet won't work.

If you'd like to try it, feel free to download and comment.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
Updated screenshot and link to newer version (1h)
  • Like 1

No intelligent comment from me Mark. Doesn't VBA only work on Windows nowadays? In any case I don't use Excel. I've not had Office for years. I just use Numbers for my basic spreadsheet needs now.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, MDM said:

Doesn't VBA only work on Windows nowadays?

Quite possibly. I run Excel in Windows 7 and 11 in Parallels Virtual machines or in Crossoveron my Mac. The spreadsheet seems to work in both. I might see if it works in Libre Office at some point. I've added a comment to my earlier post about possible Windows only restriction.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

If it helps tried it in LibreOffice on Ubuntu 22.04, buttons are a bit screwed. The 'Load/Clear' buttons are quite large and cover the text on the top row. The '+/-' work but dont shift with the expansion of the columns so they all get a bit bunched up and it is hard to know what section they effect.

Probably useful if I used ACR :)  :) 

42 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Quite possibly. I run Excel in Windows 7 and 11 in Parallels Virtual machines or in Crossoveron my Mac. The spreadsheet seems to work in both. I might see if it works in Libre Office at some point. I've added a comment to my earlier post about possible Windows only restriction.

Mark

I just did a search and apparently VBA does work on Excel for Mac but it is limited in comparison to Windows. 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I just did a search and apparently VBA does work on Excel for Mac but it is limited in comparison to Windows. 

Last time I tried running some of my Excel VBA routines on Excel for Mac the file handling commands didn't work (security restriction ISTR). I can't easily retest it now as my old 32 bit MS Office suite for Mac is not compatible with current MacOS.

Mark

Posted (edited)

When Microsoft originally released VBA in 1994 I think, it was initially for Mac Excel only. As far as I remember it was the first program to run natively on the newly released PowerMacs. The PowerMacs were being marketed in the same way as the silicon Macs now but they never had the real power to take on Windows. How things have changed.

Edited by MDM

Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2024 at 12:22, MDM said:

OK I downloaded Excel from the Mac App store, and after rewriting the file loading code, Version 1g seems to work. Curiously Excel VBA for Mac running natively on my Mac runs much more slowly than Excel VBA for Windows running in a Parallels Windows 7 or 11 Virtual machine on my Mac, or in Crossover. So complex Preset files take a few seconds to load.

Although Excel from the Apple App store requires a Microsoft 365 Subscription. Once downloaded it opens and works as a spreadsheet viewer (without subscription or sign up), it just won't save any edits. So for this spreadsheet, (which is an ACR preset file viewer), it works fine. I've updated the links and screenshot in my original post.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Thanks 1

I made a few further tweaks to the spreadsheet (now version 1h). I've been using it to review my Lightroom/Photoshop ACR develop presets. It revealed numerous errors and inconsistencies in my presets, presumably because a Preset had inherited some unwanted settings when I clicked Update preset to current settings in ACR and failed to set the right tick boxes. The quickest way I found to fix the inconsistencies was to open the affected xmp file in a basic text editor and edit it directly.

Mark