Zoo I.D - Assistance welcome

I've begun the project of scanning and uploading archival images from my own and family collections. Yesterday's batch included some monochrome of my dad's from a visit to London Zoo in 1966 and some colour of my father-in-law's from 1971, which highlight the conditions accepted at the time. In researching dates of when the various enclosures were opened I'm now not convinced that all of the colour images are in fact of London Zoo, despite the labels. I first looked at when the Lubetkin Penguin Pool was altered to be more penguin-friendly and noticed that the colour image doesn't appear to match either the old or new design. Also the Giraffe House in the image is nothing like the vintage building still in use. The Mappin Terrace looks correct (though appalling) but knowing that there may be images taken at another zoo I'm now unsure of the lion, sealions, and birds, as well as the penguin location. I'll continue searching for information but would welcome any Eureka moments from any who may have first-hand knowledge. Thank you.

london-zoo-in-the-1960s-penguin-pool-2X5E20F.jpg

london-zoo-in-colour-august-1971-penguins-2X5E20B.jpg

london-zoo-in-colour-august-1971-polar-bear-2X5E204.jpg

london-zoo-in-colour-august-1971-2X5EFRN.jpg

london-zoo-in-colour-august-1971-giraffe-house-2X5BCYE.jpg

london-zoo-in-colour-august-1971-seals-2X5EFRJ.jpg

london-zoo-in-colour-august-1971-2X5E208.jpg

london-zoo-in-colour-august-1971-lion-2X5EFRW.jpg

I took some photos at London Zoo in 1972. Unfortunately nearly all are close-ups of animals so it's not possible to identify the enclosures. The exception is the giraffe house which looks nothing like the one in your photo. It has arched doors. They're in b/w and I've never scanned them so I can't provide images ATM.

Alan

2 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

The exception is the giraffe house which looks nothing like the one in your photo. It has arched doors. They're in b/w and I've never scanned them so I can't provide images ATM.

Yes, that giraffe house confirms to me that they are not all of London Zoo. I just have to work out where the join is!

On 11/05/2024 at 10:46, Inchiquin said:

...Unfortunately nearly all are close-ups of animals so it's not possible to identify the enclosures......

I've found close-ups of the orangutans and polar bear which suggest Chessington Zoo, but like yours it's a struggle to find wider angle views to assist with the other enclosures. Interesting caption: 

1968-orang-utan-quandry-tuan-the-orang-utan-at-chessington-zoo-surrey-F4XG6P.jpg