Protecting valuable historic photos

The only option I can think of is to make them as small as possible so that they could only be used on a website.

I'm talking about 20 or so large glass negatives ( approx 30x 27 cms) c 1875 from a known photographer - most of whose negatives were destroyed in various floods and over time.

Bevan of Lowestoft and also some from Jenkins of Lowestoft.

Obviously there is no copyright in such an old image. So, is there no protection over how an Alamy buyer could use them? What would stop somebody buying for the cheapest possible use and then doing what they wanted.

Of course, I don't have to put them on Alamy but the question is a general one about protection for old photos of value. 

I0000QSLjyLYF40Y.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

Henry William Bevan

Bevan is listed as working from 2 Pier Terrace and 2A Pier Terrace, Lowestoft in Kelly's Suffolk Directory 1875/1873/1883/1888/1892/1896 and White's Suffolk Directory 1885/1892 as well as Huke's Directory of 1892.

In G. S. Cook's Directory 1882, he is listed as working from 3 London Road South, Pier Terrace.

According to Robb/Godfrey, glass negatives from Bevan's studio passed into the hands of the Jenkins family, when they took over the premises. They survived in the Pier Terrace basement until lost (along with Jenkin's plates) in the East Coast Floods of 1953. Some of the Bevan archive may, however, have already been lost in the earlier floods of 1897. The Robb/Godfrey correspondence dates the Bevan studio to 1874-1896.

According to the Lowestoft Journal, Bevan was born in Ipswich, Suffolk, in 1852 and arrived in Lowestoft in 1874, when he took over the photographic interests of William Reed and of Delaney & Co. His wife, Clarissa (whom he married in 1876), was from Lowestoft, and they had three children. He was appointed official photographer to the mayors of Lowestoft and in 1877 (shortly before her death at the age of 103) he photographed Lady Pleasance Smith, daughter of the Lord of the Manor of Lowestoft and wife of the Linnaean Society’sfounder. Bevan sold the business to Harry Jenkins in 1898 and died in 1927.

9 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

If you plan to keep the plates I would make scans available to the local archives.

If the archives are interested enough, you could do the opposite.

wim

Hmm, then they would make them available to everybody and will end up as Public Domain pics on Alamy. 

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Hmm, then they would make them available to everybody and will end up as Public Domain pics on Alamy. 

Yes, but the same could happen after one of your scans have been licensed and published large enough on the interwebs.

Maybe that could be part of a deal? You can have them if you restrict access to a watermarked low-res copy? Maybe only for a reasonable time span, say 5 or 10 years? Archives tend to think really long term.

wim

17 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Yes, but the same could happen after one of your scans have been licensed and published large enough on the interwebs.

Maybe that could be part of a deal? You can have them if you restrict access to a watermarked low-res copy? Maybe only for a reasonable time span, say 5 or 10 years? Archives tend to think really long term.

wim

Yes, I might do that for local archives.

I'm thinking that Alamy is probably not the right place for this these sort of images. 

19 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes, I might do that for local archives.

I'm thinking that Alamy is probably not the right place for this these sort of images. 

You could do some research or just put the most promising here, and wait and see.

Research could bring up some topics: building plans; anniversary of opening or demolishing a building; association with famous person or important historical event. Much like the rest of your historic catalogue.

Another angle could be showing the actual quality of the historic photographic process. In that case a 100% image with flaws could be more interesting than a smaller sharper and cleaner one.

wim

Posted (edited)

I am probably thinking more of what Alamy could do to control image use given that copyright isn't involved.

Perhaps something along the lines of very tight contracts over image use for images not covered by copyright?? 

I can't see that it would help with low res web use but would possibly limit the use and distribution of high-res files?

Edited by geogphotos