Running different Photoshop versions in parallel

I am running two different versions of PS/Bridge/ACR in parallel: Photoshop 2023 and the latest Photoshop 2024. Why? I originally downloaded the PS Beta version when AI became available to play with, while continuing to use PS 2023.  

Some kind of corruption occurs between the two, being the loss of icons on the side tool bar or adjustments in the palette (either absent or greyed out). I have googled extensively in the past and this is an issue that has been recognised. I think that when there is an Adobe update, the update gets confused as to the target folder.

I can see a few solutions:

1.      uninstall PS 2023 (how is it going to fix my missing tools in 2024?)

2.      uninstall PS 2004 and re-install (will it help and is it allowed?)

3.      uninstall PS 2023 and 2024 and re-install 2024 (is it allowed?)

What I fear is that if I uninstall both versions, I might lose my brushes/plugins/preset/templates/keywords, etc.

Keywords are not really a problem as I can export and re-import them, but plugins would be a hassle to set up again.

What do you techies reckon I should do? Thanks in advance.

I don't really know but what I would do is back up any presets, brushes, templates etc first. You can see how to do this on the Adobe help. I'm a Mac user and I think you are on Windows so I can't be specific. This is nothing to fear. You should do it anyway if you value them in case of a disk failure etc. Given that it is a mess, if it was me, I would go for Option 3 and reset the prefs when starting up if that doesn't work first time. Resetting the prefs often works when nothing else does but you would lose stuff unless you back it up. Again check the Adobe help for how to do that. It's very simple. I mainly use Lightroom for most stuff these days and use Photoshop less and less. I don't know about plugins. I would guess they might survive the process. This is why I never use beta software. Last time I did I had to wipe the computer and reinstall macOS.  Best of luck. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your tips Mick. Solution 3 is also my feeling. I couldn't resist having a peep at AI Fill at the time. Hence the Beta version.

Let's know how you get on Gen. I hope that uninstalling both and reinstalling the latest version will work but it won't be surprising if you have to reset your prefs which is not a big deal as long as you have saved all the customised bits which you can add back afterwards. There are so many different user customisations nowadays it is difficult to know what is where but you should be fine.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MDM said:

Let's know how you get on Gen. I hope that uninstalling both and reinstalling the latest version will work but it won't be surprising if you have to reset your prefs which is not a big deal as long as you have saved all the customised bits which you can add back afterwards. There are so many different user customisations nowadays it is difficult to know what is where but you should be fine.

I might not do it straightaway, as today the tools are back in PS 2023 and I have a huge backlog to edit, but eventually I'd like to have only PS 2024. It's crazy, totally haphazard. There are also 3 rainy days forecast and we're struggling a bit with solar. Not much juice for the laptop. I will let you know when I do it. Thanks Mick.

Hi Gen.

I do not know your system.

And perhaps missed something in the thread above, sorry if so.

On Windows, after saving all settings in the PS, I would try and use the CC Cleaning Tool.

And, if it start eventually after the cleaning and the clean install, add setting and see what happens?..

Good luck.

PS: assuming that as you googled extensively you have already cleaned the cash. This Adobe Ecosystem forum is actually the first and usually the last place where I solve my Adobe-related problems. There are great people over there.

Edited by IKuzmin
Addition on the PS cache cleanup

6 hours ago, IKuzmin said:

Hi Gen.

On Windows, after saving all settings in the PS, I would try and use the CC Cleaning Tool.

And, if it start eventually after the cleaning and the clean install, add setting and see what happens?..

Good luck.

PS: assuming that as you googled extensively you have already cleaned the cash. This Adobe Ecosystem forum is actually the first and usually the last place where I solve my Adobe-related problems. There are great people over there.

Thank you for that. Your help is appreciated.

6 hours ago, IKuzmin said:

Hi Gen.

Good luck.

Not heard of the Cleaning Tool before but it sounds like a good idea for Gen. As you say, the Adobe forums are probably the best place to solve anything like this. That should be cleaning the cache by the way. Cleaning the cash sounds like money laundering 🤣 - you might come up with some very strange things searching for that on Google. 

Edited by MDM

22 minutes ago, MDM said:

That should be cleaning the cache by the way. Cleaning the cash sounds like money laundering 🤣 - you might come up with some very strange things searching for that on Google

Thanks. Pardon my poor English. Which also is still with a harsh accent that some do not even understand.

Edited by IKuzmin

1 hour ago, IKuzmin said:

Thanks. Pardon my poor English. Which also is still with a harsh accent that some do not even understand.

OK. I hope you didn't mind.  I don't normally correct spelling or grammar online but that was a funny I thought as it had a totally different meaning.  

On 23/02/2024 at 18:12, gvallee said:

2.      uninstall PS 2004 and re-install (will it help and is it allowed?)

Genoaldu (Gen of a land down under)

Photoshop 2004?
Is that Photoshop 8.0?
I use that for its Web Photo Gallery function.
As a way to transfer PS field to Excel doc.
A function which since 8.0 has disappeared.
Otherwise I'm using Photoshop 2024.
The (2) Photoshops never conflict...

11 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
Genoaldu (Gen of a land down under)

Photoshop 2004?
Is that Photoshop 8.0?
I use that for its Web Photo Gallery function.
As a way to transfer PS field to Excel doc.
A function which since 8.0 has disappeared.
Otherwise I'm using Photoshop 2024.
The (2) Photoshops never conflict...

Yes but did you ever download a PS beta version? That's likely the cause of my problems.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE as promised.

Nothing of what I had tried worked: uninstalling 2023 and 2024, re-installing 2024, deleting preferences, CC clean-up.

So hubby and I (mostly hubby) spent SIX consecutive hours plus an hour this morning on chat with Adobe Support. They logged on remotely to my laptop, from India I think. 

The likely cause: a corrupt preferences file. 

The solution: kill all adobe processes, rename all Adobe folders to _old and do a fresh 2024 instal. So far so good. I still have to download Bridge, fingers crossed.