Canon EOS R7 users? How is it for you?

I don't have one myself, but I thought I'd ask as searching on the Internet about it some people bash or dismiss it (and many haven't used it at all most likely.) I wanted to ask about other people's experiences of using the Canon EOS R7. Because I came from a camera that had EVF issues in the sun and after discovering how bright my former Olympus EM5iii was compared to my former Panasonic GH5, I learned the GH5 Mark 2 has an improved bright EVF too and had to trade the two bodies and a few lenses for it, which is what I use now.

I'm curious if anyone's R7 has a nice EVF even in the sun so I thought I'd ask here.

Hi Kit. Or James...?

Anyway, looks like a great camera:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r7-review

30fps is amazing, considering my A7iii can only do 10. And I've not had problems using my 2.36M OLED EVF, which is the comparable for this Canon's EVF.

Taking a step back, seems like you've already zoomed in (pun totally intended) on getting a specific new camera. You might want to suggest your photography requirements to the Forum and ask for advice on which camera to get. It is an expensive commitment, and you tend to get locked in with your camera system once you've purchased lenses to go with the camera.

Steve

• Love 1

I've got the Canon EOS R 6 Mark 2 which is only 24 megapixel and is similar in features to the EOS R7 There is a couple of things that the EOS R7 hasn't got but I cannot remember what it is It's still a good camera Can also get a comparison on You Tube

• Love 1

3 hours ago, KitJames said:

Because I came from a camera that had EVF issues in the sun

Are you sure you mean EVF - Electronic Viewfinder - or might you mean the rear screen. The EVF is just a direct representation of how your image is going to turn out.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Harry Harrison said:

Are you sure you mean EVF - Electronic Viewfinder - or might you mean the rear screen. The EVF is just a direct representation of how your image is going to turn out.

Absolutely through the viewfinder. Whenever I had my GH5 indoors, the viewfinder was alright, not bright but alright. Whenever I went out with the GH5 and my Olympus EM5iii during summers and sunny spring days, the differences in brightness were night and day. It was a problem because exposing in the viewfinder on the GH5 resulted in overexposed pictures almost all the time, made me favour the EM5iii more. No setting in the GH5 let me have the luminance bright enough when looking through the viewfinder when I was birding.

19 minutes ago, KitJames said:

Whenever I went out with the GH5 and my Olympus EM5iii during summers and sunny spring days, the differences in brightness were night and day.

Thanks, never heard of a problem like that. Weird.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Taking a step back, seems like you've already zoomed in (pun totally intended) on getting a specific new camera. You might want to suggest your photography requirements to the Forum and ask for advice on which camera to get. It is an expensive commitment, and you tend to get locked in with your camera system once you've purchased lenses to go with the camera.

For now yes. I found a deal of a new one, which would get me a camera with an autofocus similar to the OM System OM-1, targeting even the eye of animals. I've been looking for a system under £1100. I previously looked at the Fuji X-S20, and the Alpha A6700, but comparing them all they're in a similar league. The only concern of all this is the brightness luminance of the electronic viewfinder of the R7. I don't mind having a different system with one lens to go with it.

4 hours ago, KitJames said:

Absolutely through the viewfinder. Whenever I had my GH5 indoors, the viewfinder was alright, not bright but alright. Whenever I went out with the GH5 and my Olympus EM5iii during summers and sunny spring days, the differences in brightness were night and day. It was a problem because exposing in the viewfinder on the GH5 resulted in overexposed pictures almost all the time, made me favour the EM5iii more. No setting in the GH5 let me have the luminance bright enough when looking through the viewfinder when I was birding.

you've probably tried this already, but in case...

• Love 1

2 hours ago, KitJames said:

The only concern of all this is the brightness luminance of the electronic viewfinder of the R7.

It will be fine, I see sooth has posted a link to the 'Constant Preview' feature and there are a lot of threads concerning that in relation to the GH-5 and 'dark' viewfinders but DPReview said when it came out in 2017 that it had probably the best viewfinder that they'd seen, in another thread someone else said that "The EVF is amazing, BTW  - huge, bright, incredible sharp, with spot-on colors!". If a major manufacturer like Canon produced a new camera with a 'dark' viewfinder it would be commercial suicide,

• Love 1

4 hours ago, KitJames said:

No setting in the GH5 let me have the luminance bright enough when looking through the viewfinder when I was birding.

On my Lumix G7 and G100 the EVF brightness/contrast/saturation and color balance menu options only become available when actually looking through the EVF. Very logical, but it confused me to start with. There's also an "LVF luminance" setting of "Auto" that if I recall correctly increases the brightness of the EVF when in bright conditions, again this menu option is only visible when actually looking through the EVF.

PS. IMO the menu system on the Lumix is overly complex. So many "buried" settings.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, sooth said:

you've probably tried this already, but in case...

I appreciate this and I did indeed tried this, which didn't solve the dim view of the viewfinder, since the menus were also affected.

39 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

It will be fine, I see sooth has posted a link to the 'Constant Preview' feature and there are a lot of threads concerning that in relation to the GH-5 and 'dark' viewfinders but DPReview said when it came out in 2017 that it had probably the best viewfinder that they'd seen, in another thread someone else said that "The EVF is amazing, BTW  - huge, bright, incredible sharp, with spot-on colors!". If a major manufacturer like Canon produced a new camera with a 'dark' viewfinder it would be commercial suicide,

I can't really say much about it until I experience the R7 for myself then. 😁 To be honest I liked the upgrade of the EVF from the GH4 to the GH5, but that changed dramatically again for me when I used the EM5iii's, which could be why the Pana GH5 seemed so dim.

48 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

On my Lumix G7 and G100 the EVF brightness/contrast/saturation and color balance menu options only become available when actually looking through the EVF. Very logical, but it confused me to start with. There's also an "LVF luminance" setting of "Auto" that if I recall correctly increases the brightness of the EVF when in bright conditions, again this menu option is only visible when actually looking through the EVF.

PS. IMO the menu system on the Lumix is overly complex. So many "buried" settings.

Yes, my GH5M2 has LVF Luminance, the original GH5 didn't have this.

Just wanted to update I decided to purchase the R7 with a kit lens and to give it a very good go when it arrives to see what photos I could put up. I'm familiar with kit lenses and understand the expectations as I found the best sweet spot for mine when I use them.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the camera. 😄 Now I'm currently learning the ropes because it's different. I'm enjoying it though, and while the 18-45mm kit lens I got with it isn't the best, it isn't the worst either. I'll still anticipate any other APS-C lenses Canon will bring out for the RF-S. I like the colour rendering too, as it reminded me of my old Panasonic GH4. And the EVF works just fine in the sunlight yesterday, it's not as bright as the GH5M2, but brighter than the GH5 I had too.