Exiled

For several years I  have enjoyed 3 star status as a contributor, my submissions usually being OK'd in 24 hours. Suddenly I  have been cast into Alamy Limbo and am characterized by just one lonely star.

The reason? I dared submit a few AI shots to see how they would be received. With the upload I declared them to be "Illustrations", not photographs. I gave them file names that indicated they were AI and I mentioned they were AI not only in the captions but in the keywords. Several uploads were accepted with no questions.

And then came Alamy's recent announcement of their policy regarding AI, stating that they would not accept it and would scrub all AI from the collection. That's fine, I understand.

What I don't understand is why I have been punished for uploading material that they encouraged me to upload by repeatedly passing it. Are they trying to make a point? Was it a slap on the wrist? In any case, I do not appreciate being punished because I "transgressed" a policy that they hadn't published or about which we  hadn't been told.

Is it Alamy's view that I deserve to be punished?

Is there anyone else who has received such treatment?

David, may I suggest that you see this as being "edited," not "punished." Even if there is some personal intent, it's best to not take these things personally. Each vendor and buyer will have criteria that change without notice and our status can change quickly. Taking these changes personally will quickly make you miserable. Alamy's rule change wasn't about us - it was about a technique that is spreading rapidly and required new rules. 

In my opinion, the best way to deal with this is a string of solid submissions. If you're not back where you were in six months, then try a letter to member services. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, davidryan said:

Is it Alamy's view that I deserve to be punished?

this.
ain't.
FAIR !!!!!!!
😒_ 😒_ 😒
...but
buyers don't see stars;
if you're still getting new images to go live
in timely fashion & your selling ain't diminished
then what do it really matter...

On 05/10/2023 at 21:22, davidryan said:

And then came Alamy's recent announcement of their policy regarding AI, stating that they would not accept it and would scrub all AI from the collection.

Some people think that AI is a great idea and everyone should embrace it. Others think it's opening the gates of hell. I would guess that if the photography stock business embraced AI they would very soon get flooded with it. In the music stock/library business at the this time, the school of thought is they won't touch it with a bargepole. Basically because it sounds like crap. That said, as a tool it may be useful for many applications like medicine ect. 

Edited by Gervais Montacute
  • Like 1