started using this tool recently
finding more & more ways
bring faces out of shadow
make sky bluer
make signs better looking
turn saturated faces "normal"

some of these things previously
done with burning-dodging tools
are done better, even faster, with QST...
as usual, must not overdue or image looks odd...

🤔 if willing, any other uses for QST?

18 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
started using this tool recently
finding more & more ways
bring faces out of shadow
make sky bluer
make signs better looking
turn saturated faces "normal"

some of these things previously
done with burning-dodging tools
are done better, even faster, with QST...
as usual, must not overdue or image looks odd...

🤔 if willing, any other uses for QST?

Sorry Jef but is the QST you are referring to in Ps or LrC?

Allan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry Jef but is the QST you are referring to in Ps or LrC?

Allan

It's in Photoshop and has been around for a long long time (since CS3 I believe) - nothing revolutionary at all.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, MDM said:

It's in Photoshop and has been around for a long long time (since CS3 I believe) - nothing revolutionary at all.

There is something similar in LrC but I do not think it is as comprehensive as the one in Ps.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

There is something similar in LrC but I do not think it is as comprehensive as the one in Ps.

Allan

The Photoshop quick selection tool has been largely superseded by the far more powerful and efficient automatic selection tools such as Select Sky, Select Subject, Select Focus Area etc and Lightroom Classic now has some very similar tools to the latter. In fact Lightroom Classic is now so advanced in this regard that for many users, even relatively advanced ones, Photoshop is no longer necessary. I still use Photoshop for the various cloning options which are still superior to anything in Lightroom but I use it far less than I used to do. I still like to use the very ancient magic wand tool for tidying up selections but I never use the quick selection tool nowadays.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MDM said:

The Photoshop quick selection tool has been largely superseded by the far more powerful and efficient automatic selection tools such as Select Sky, Select Subject, Select Focus Area etc and Lightroom Classic now has some very similar tools to the latter. In fact Lightroom Classic is now so advanced in this regard that for many users, even relatively advanced ones, Photoshop is no longer necessary. I still use Photoshop for the various cloning options which are still superior to anything in Lightroom but I use it far less than I used to do. I still like to use the very ancient magic wand tool for tidying up selections but I never use the quick selection tool nowadays.

In addition to that I'd say that the "Select and Mask" environment in Photoshop is very helpful, superseding to me those Select Subject etc options in ACR and elsewhere, let alone the Magic Wand and the Quick Selection Tool.