Curved Monitors

When I was in Calgary visiting my son, he has a Samsung Odyssey G5 Curved Monitor like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/SAMSUNG-Odyssey-FreeSync-Futuristic-LS32AG550ENXZA/dp/B09TMJ9LGR/ref=pd_ci_mcx_mh_mcx_views_0?pd_rd_w=CwJBP&content-id=amzn1.sym.497f2919-28f2-4b22-9bda-5f5fc143fcd1&pf_rd_p=497f2919-28f2-4b22-9bda-5f5fc143fcd1&pf_rd_r=WH4WQX0WRNR74AH8WJ8S&pd_rd_wg=Y1roe&pd_rd_r=dfa0826d-a3e5-42ed-ae37-552ab82c10d1&pd_rd_i=B09TMJ9LGR

Price is right, but do I really need a gaming monitor?  I loved it when I used it, but anyone have any better suggestions?  It was wonderful for running PS and Illustrator as it was lots of room for workspace and all the freaking panels I end up having open.

Jill

It's my understanding that gaming monitors are built for pixel speed to cover all the motion. A monitor for graphics arts doesn't need speed so much as it needs color accuracy. Gaming monitors may not have the color accuracy. Check. Your mileage may very.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

If you have the desk space why not just use a second monitor and place all your panels on that?  This is what I do.  In fact I have three monitors hooked up - Bridge on the left, Photoshop centre, Photoshop panels on the right.  The two side monitors need only be cheap ones, in fact both mine are refurbished stock off ebay, less than £20 each.

My graphics card will only support three monitors but when I'm keywording I also hook up a fourth small monitor (Prechan HD-116) using a USB3-to-HDMI. adaptor.   IMatch main window at centre, all the panels relevant to keywording on the right, browser running on the left monitor for location research, maps etc, and, on the Prechan monitor, Simple Sticky Notes with lots of collections of keywords for different subjects.

The Prechan also comes in useful when hooked up to the camera for studio work, close-ups etc. 

Edited by Vincent Lowe
Correction

1 hour ago, Vincent Lowe said:

If you have the desk space why not just use a second monitor and place all your panels on that?  This is what I do.  In fact I have three monitors hooked up - Bridge on the left, Photoshop centre, Photoshop panels on the right.  The two side monitors need only be cheap ones, in fact both mine are refurbished stock off ebay, less than £20 each.

My graphics card will only support three monitors but when I'm keywording I also hook up a fourth small monitor (Prechan HD-116) using a USB3-to-HDMI. adaptor.   IMatch main window at centre, all the panels relevant to keywording on the right, browser running on the left monitor for location research, maps etc, and, on the Prechan monitor, Simple Sticky Notes with lots of collections of keywords for different subjects.

The Prechan also comes in useful when hooked up to the camera for studio work, close-ups etc. 

I already have 3 monitors running.  I admit one is a TV that I use to watch while working.  My main monitor and then a graphics tablet.  I could hook and unhook the graphics tablet, but that would be a bit of a pain in the butt. I am limited to 3 monitors as well.  Thought of getting a second graphics card, but I think that would be overkill. Space is also a concern.  Current monitor is 27", the Samsung is 32".  Wouldn't take up as much space as a second monitor for all the panels.  And I liked the curved screen.  Indecision.

Jill

4 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Indecision.

I know the feeling - I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure..... 🙂

Yes, yes, I know it's an old one - I'll get me coat....

Edited by Vincent Lowe