NEW CALIFORNIA PAPARAZZI LAW

Lisa

http://news.yahoo.com/pot-guns-paparazzi-laws-run-gamut-us-070620163.html

“Photographers who harass celebrities and their children face tougher penalties under a law backed by actresses Halle Berry and Jennifer Garner, who testified in favor of it. Berry told lawmakers her daughter has been intimidated by aggressive photographers who follow them daily. Those who take photos and video of a child without consent and in a harassing manner could face up to a year in county jail and a fine of up to $10,000. They also can be sued for damages and attorney's fees under the new law, which media organizations opposed. Supporters say it also will help protect the children of police officers, judges and others who might be targets because of their parents' occupations.”

I see that you do a lot of celeb shooting and press events yourself, Lisa, so I'm wondering how you see this new law? No, I'm not confusing you with the paparazzi. I'm also curious as to why so many Alamy shooters who do press events are female. There's you and Linda and three or four ladies here in NYC.  :)

I see that you do a lot of celeb shooting and press events yourself, Lisa, so I'm wondering how you see this new law? No, I'm not confusing you with the paparazzi. I'm also curious as to why so many Alamy shooters who do press events are female. There's you and Linda and three or four ladies here in NYC.  :)

Quite often I seem to be the only female photographer at most of the red carpet events I attend. 

I was the only female and only freelancer allowed for the first 15-18+ years of my career.

Now it's a cattle call on the red carpet with 100+ sometimes...

All competing for the same small market.

L

Halle Berry was a pain decades before she had children. At promo events she just wasn't very in tune with what press needed for coverage and she thought her 2 minute breeze thru would be enough...After waiting a couple of hours.

She was a bit better at the premiere of her last movie but that was brief as well.

L

I'm also curious as to why so many Alamy shooters who do press events are female. There's you and Linda and three or four ladies here in NYC.  :)

Maybe you just tend to notice the ladies more ;)

Of the Alamy photographers I either know, or whose names I recognize who do press events, I'd say it's about a 50/50 split in New York.

I'm also curious as to why so many Alamy shooters who do press events are female. There's you and Linda and three or four ladies here in NYC.  :)

Maybe you just tend to notice the ladies more ;)

Of the Alamy photographers I either know, or whose names I recognize who do press events, I'd say it's about a 50/50 split in New York.

Me thinks perhaps you have uncovered a basic Freudian truth, fotoD. :(  But you know, 50/50 is a pretty high number out in the real world.

At this late date in my life I'm just too lazy and set in my ways to react to other people's schedules. And it's been a very long time since I've covered events. Maybe my elbows aren't sharp enough anymore. 

Back to the original topic... I haven't been following the law that closely but from the little I've read, it's likely to have a chilling effect on the media's ability to cover news. From what I understand it only covers "paparazzi" or photographers who make money from their photos. What about all the fans with point and shoot cameras, or those gathering autographs who often slow down celebrities while the paparazzi photograph them? I don't understand why such a law would only apply to one class. Then there's the question of what consititutes permission to photograph a child? Must it be written permission? Is stepping outside a building into a gaggle of papparazzi implied permission?

Here in New York we have plenty of celebrities living day-to-day lives that don't differ all that much from everyone else. I was just mentioning on another forum that it's not surprising to see celebrities shopping in the local supermarket. They seem to manage to get around, for the most part, unmolested.

We did have a recent "event" where Lindsay Lohan supposedly moved in across the street which drew a fair number of paparazzi crawling all over the garbage cans to get a better shot. Somebody must've tipped them. We didn't see anything like that when Michelle Obama and Kim Kardashian happened to both have lunch at Carbone, at the same time, a month or so ago... Then there's the question of our former governor and his latest girlfriend. Does he cound as a celebrity or just a tainted public figure? Of course in those cases no one brought their children along but, had a child stepped into the frame, could that have been a problem had it occurred in California?

I'm just glad we don't have a similar law in New York.

Lindsey Lohan, eh? Across the street from me there's a low-level Goodfella who goes by the name of Jersey Edge. If the good life is catching up with Linsey, it's passed Jersey a long time ago. 

I used to be friendly with one paparazzo who hung out in front of Fanelli's across from the Mercer Hotel before Mr. Crowe made that place a no-go for celebs. This guy was very sweet natured but the switchover to his paparazzi persona was dramatic and fast when a celeb walked into the scene.  In Rome in the '60s I was a paparazzi for a month when I lost a bet to an Aussie journalist friend. I enjoyed it, but was happy when the month was over. 

I wonder if this new law is going to hold up to the appeals? 

I happened to catch a few moments of a film called "Celebrity" on Netflix where ( I think it was) J-Lo complaining that people with cell phone cameras are the worst. Why should it be legal for anyone with a cell phone to photograph these kids while it's a crime for paparazzi?

Archived