Beemer

Question

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting. As a former editorial art director, I have conceived and commissioned numerous celebrity shoots that photographers profited from handsomely by reselling as stock. Indeed, photographers accept low editorial rates based on one-time first reproduction rights precisely for the opportunity to draw revenue from said images in perpetuity. Publications essentially subsidize sessions through celebrity access and production costs, which all accrue to the benefit of the photographer. 

In recent years I transitioned to photography and have had several successful sessions shooting actors and athletes. Only recently has it occurred to me to offer the images as editorial, rights-managed for resale. 

The sessions are neither red-carpet photo-opps or paparazzi. They were formal sittings with crews, published in a U.S. magazine. While my copyright ownership is clear, the question is whether offering the images for sale as editorial stock requires a release from the celebrity.

I welcome all insights.

4 answers to this question

On 12/03/2023 at 18:58, Beemer said:

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting. As a former editorial art director, I have conceived and commissioned numerous celebrity shoots that photographers profited from handsomely by reselling as stock. Indeed, photographers accept low editorial rates based on one-time first reproduction rights precisely for the opportunity to draw revenue from said images in perpetuity. Publications essentially subsidize sessions through celebrity access and production costs, which all accrue to the benefit of the photographer. 

In recent years I transitioned to photography and have had several successful sessions shooting actors and athletes. Only recently has it occurred to me to offer the images as editorial, rights-managed for resale. 

The sessions are neither red-carpet photo-opps or paparazzi. They were formal sittings with crews, published in a U.S. magazine. While my copyright ownership is clear, the question is whether offering the images for sale as editorial stock requires a release from the celebrity.

I welcome all insights.

J,

I am not a lawyer, but I do have quite a bit of experience licensing images, made by me, of celebrities.  If you like you can do a GOOGLE search to find my email, I am in Lexington, MA, USA. Drop me a note at my Comcast email if you would like to communicate about your question.

Best,

Chuck

27 minutes ago, nicepix4u said:

In Europe the law is quite clear about this, you would be able to sell them for editorial for commercial use you would need for sure a release. 

Same in the USA, unless if there was a contract stating otherwise.....such as that the images can only be used for the original purpose.