Flash Help please ?

CAROL SAUNDERS

Question

Hi all, I thought I wanted to use my flashgun yesterday for a couple of things.  Not used in a while but had taken the batteries out.  New batteries in and all appears to be well.  It's a Nikon SB800 with 5 AA batteries and has always been fine on the camera.  However, I'm obviously missing something as it's not giving me 1/60th shutter speed when attached to the camera.  I've checked all the settings - I think !  Flash sync speed is set to 1/250  and flash shutter speed 1/60th - I'm not aware I've made any changes to anything either on the flash or the camera and it fits in the hotshoe fine and has always been fine - until now.  When I take a picture the flash actually does fire no problem, just not at 1/60th🥲

Any thoughts/help appreciated.

Many thanks

Carol

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hi all, I thought I wanted to use my flashgun yesterday for a couple of things.  Not used in a while but had taken the batteries out.  New batteries in and all appears to be well.  It's a Nikon SB800 with 5 AA batteries and has always been fine on the camera.  However, I'm obviously missing something as it's not giving me 1/60th shutter speed when attached to the camera.  I've checked all the settings - I think !  Flash sync speed is set to 1/250  and flash shutter speed 1/60th - I'm not aware I've made any changes to anything either on the flash or the camera and it fits in the hotshoe fine and has always been fine - until now.  When I take a picture the flash actually does fire no problem, just not at 1/60th🥲

Any thoughts/help appreciated.

Many thanks

Carol

Carol,

Don't know what body you are using, but with modern NIKON's you need to set the "Flash" at "Slow", Top side button on Right of D bodies.  If it is not set at slow it will give you a shutter speed of 250.

Chuck

22 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Weird, so it fires at 1/250th, 1/125th, 1/30th, 1/15th  etc. but not 1/60th? You're using the camera on Shutter priority or Manual?

15 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Carol,

Don't know what body you are using, but with modern NIKON's you need to set the "Flash" at "Slow", Top side button on Right of D bodies.  If it is not set at slow it will give you a shutter speed of 250.

Chuck

Ah thanks so much both I have it sorted now, I hadn't deleted the practice/rubbish images luckily and looked at the exif on the back of the camera.  Lo and behold there was the flash sign and slow!  Have now turned this off so now have minimum shutter speed of 1/60th for flash.  

Thank you for your prompt responses - user error though I can't ever remember putting the flash on slow but hopefully sorted now...😊

Carol