Alamy Measures

Colin C

Question

I've checked in my Alamy measures today and there is a search for 'Hairy Lady' - I do not have this term in my tags for the image in question - I do have 'Hairy Cattle' and 'Lady' as separate tags - it appears as though the search engine has looked for hairy and lady anywhere withing the tags/title and returned my image - the Lady in this image is sitting on a Yak and it is known also as hairy cattle - does this not increase spamming?

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Colin C said:

I've checked in my Alamy measures today and there is a search for 'Hairy Lady' - I do not have this term in my tags for the image in question - I do have 'Hairy Cattle' and 'Lady' as separate tags - it appears as though the search engine has looked for hairy and lady anywhere withing the tags/title and returned my image - the Lady in this image is sitting on a Yak and it is known also as hairy cattle - does this not increase spamming?

If Alamy's algorithm is working correctly it will place any images which have "Hairy Lady" as a phrase in the tags or in the caption higher up in the search results than your image. There have been comments that the proximity of words in the tags also makes a difference, but I've not noticed that, but use of matching phases in tags or caption has a big effect on image placement.

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Years ago, under the old system, Alamy told us to put quotation marks around two-word phrases, to avoid this issue. After many of us old-timers spent countless hours doing just that, they decided not to improve their algorithm after all. And, when they changed to the new system, they redistributed our keywords so that phrases in quotes ended up as single words. 

I have many images from New England as well as New York and they show up when people search for York England - nothing I can do about it. Frustrating but they don't seem to care that the algorithm causes keyword spamming. Many many more examples - when I look at AIM. Sometimes they give me a good laugh like your "Hairy Lady" example. 

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

Years ago, under the old system, Alamy told us to put quotation marks around two-word phrases, to avoid this issue. After many of us old-timers spent countless hours doing just that, they decided not to improve their algorithm after all. And, when they changed to the new system, they redistributed our keywords so that phrases in quotes ended up as single words. 

I have many images from New England as well as New York and they show up when people search for York England - nothing I can do about it. Frustrating but they don't seem to care that the algorithm causes keyword spamming. Many many more examples - when I look at AIM. Sometimes they give me a good laugh like your "Hairy Lady" example. 

Ah well, C'est la vie as they say - purely rhetorical : what is a potential client searching for when they use the term 'Hairy Lady'?