DJI Mini 3 Pro Drone

Hi - I know the minimum format used to be a 4/3 size sensor for Alamy, but understood some Mavic 2 Pro pictures have been accepted with its 1-inch sensor. Would images from the new Mini 3 Pro drone - with its 0.77 inch sensor be acceptable … there are 12 MP and 43MP options (the latter splitting the pixels into four components I believe). 

Edited by Chris1603

• Chris1603 changed the title to DJI Mini 3 Pro Drone
2 hours ago, Alexander Hog said:

I was wondering if it's worthwhile getting a drone for getting pictures for putting up on a stock site Never used one before

You would need to sell an awful lot of licences at current rates to make it worthwhile. Besides the cost of a drone you need to have an operatng certificate to conform with CAA regulations. This has changed in the last few years - interesting article about new requirments and costs of courses/certification. For the cautious among us, there would be additional insurance costs. Something I might do next year but not with the expectation of making money from stock. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, Alexander Hog said:

interesting article I didn't realise the full cost of the course and has put me off completely I appreciate your help MDM

I didn't intend to put you off entirely. You could still get a drone for fun. I was just making the point that doing it for stock might not be very lucrative comsidering the significant capital investment required.😎

Edited by MDM

Alamy seem to be encouraging drone pics with their latest tweet directing people to this collection:

https://www.alamy.com/search/lightbox/4690043.html

Drone abstraction expresses an external perspective by using bold hues and shapes. ⁠ Due to the initial unfamiliarity, these images make you think twice – do they really exist in the real world? ⁠ ⁠ Explore the trend: https://bit.ly/3Stfyfi ⁠ Image ID: 2CD1DKJ // Marek Rybar

Associated costs and formalities aside it's good to know that the small sensor 12MP camera passes Alamy QC (unless they just happened to slip through I suppose), it's a pretty affordable way to see if you take to the whole idea of drone photography. That 1/1.3 sensor is only 9.6 x 7.2 mm, so pretty small even when compared with the 1" sensor in some of the more expensive models (13.2 x 8.8 mm) and the Sony RX100 series.

AP review here.

An extraordinary little package.

Edit:

Actually, thinking about it (always a good thing to do), 12MP from 9.6 x 7.2 mm. (actually 4032 x 3024 px so 4/3 proportions) is the same pixel density as the 20MP from a 1" sensor as on the Sony RX100 series (13.2 x 8.8 mm), so assuming the lens is sharp and you don't get flare it should be fine, it's '24mm' equivalent. Often wondered why they don't do a better lens hood arrangement given that it's fixed focal length. Can't predict the results from the souped up 48MP processing.

DPReview also has a review which includes downloadable samples, RAW & jpg:

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/2271796398/dji-mini-3-pro-sample-gallery/0463595443

Edited by Harry Harrison
RX100 series are 20MP, not 24MP
  • Like 1