Infringement fee questions

geogphotos

Question

I have two infringements reported without mention of Alamy fees - just the payment to me.

Then two others reported as normal licenses with a higher than normal  fee and the word 'infringement' at the end of the licence.

One image appears in both types of report ( I reported it once and it appears twice so perhaps a new infringement found by Alamy?) - both the other images were also reported by me.

Does anybody else see this and do they know the reasons for the difference in reporting?

Edited by geogphotos

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

I have two infringements reported without mention of Alamy fees - just the payment to me.

Then two others reported as normal licenses with a higher than normal  fee and the word 'infringement' at the end of the licence.

One image appears in both types of report ( I reported it once and it appears twice so perhaps a new infringement found by Alamy?) - both the other images were also reported by me.

Does anybody else see this and do they know the reasons for the difference in reporting?

when i asked i was told that for existing clients Alamy offers them a licence as part of the infringement settlement, whereas others would not get this offer, so I assume this may be the difference in reporting.    Still an issue that only those count towards meeting Level requirements. 

Edited by meanderingemu

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks that sounds a very likely explanation.

and of course if they are a large enough client, many being non arm's length,  they just issue them a normal licence with no penalty at today's rate (and commission level)

Edited by meanderingemu

For payments by infringers who are not Alamy clients - what does the payment cover?

Is it not also a licence for a specific use meaning that the user can continue using the image, or it a punishment and the image has to be taken down? How can we know?

Edited by geogphotos

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

For payments by infringers who are not Alamy clients - what does the payment cover?

Is it not also a licence for a specific use meaning that the user can continue using the image, or it a punishment and the image has to be taken down? How can we know?

This is the answer i received when i asked, mainly to understand why i did not get credit for the sale.

"Usually with an infringement they will be requested to remove the image so they settle the use and then that's it, they would have to log in and purchase a license for future use.

If it's an Alamy customer and they forgot to declare, then the settlement would include the license to continue using."
Edited by meanderingemu